Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   02 sebring 2.7 leaking water (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/02-sebring-2-7-leaking-water-29348/)

furyfrank 05-15-2018 01:22 PM

02 sebring 2.7 leaking water

I bought the car and a few times it overheated . Then I noticed it was leaking a lot of water. The car sat overnight with the radiator cap off and the next day it was still leaking. I know the water pump is not great but there is no water in oil. To me the amount it was leaking should have been lower than the water pump and it should have stopped leaking. So am I missing something ? I am thinking a hose or thermostat housing.

dcotter0579 05-16-2018 08:01 AM

Nobody here can know where the leak is coming from. To find a leak, you have to inspect the car carefully. The car is 16 years old, so it could be anything. Park it over a clean piece of cardboard for a long enough period of time to get at least a few drops of coolant on the cardboard. This will provide a clue about where the leak is coming from. Then inspect the area above the wet spot very carefully, keeping in mind that water can run sideways as well as down.

furyfrank 05-16-2018 11:20 AM

I have read where a car started to overheat and people replaced the water pump and thermostat and had compression check and car still overheated.

dcotter0579 05-16-2018 09:22 PM

There are many possible reasons for overheating. It could be a bad thermostat, clogged radiator (internally or externally), bad radiator hose, bad radiator cap, low coolant, wrong coolant, wrong mixture of coolant, bad water pump, blown head gasket, lean fuel mixture, fan not working properly, internal corrosion, probably others as well. If you don't know what the problem is, start with the cheapest fix and move toward the most expensive things last.

If you fix the wrong thing you won't solve the problem. If you know you have a leak, you've got to fix it. It may not be the only thing wrong, so it may not fix the problem but it must be fixed.

furyfrank 05-18-2018 02:48 PM

I am going to replace the water pump, in doing this, is the thermostat open enough to get to ?

dcotter0579 05-20-2018 02:47 PM

I see you have decided to ignore the above advice completely and have opted to replace the most expensive item first. To replace the water pump, you will tear the entire front end of the engine apart. The thermostat will be found behind the alternator. If it turns out to be a bad radiator cap or faulty hose, your efforts will be wasted.

furyfrank 05-20-2018 03:14 PM

I guess i did not make it clear that it started to leak very badly and I am going to have someone come over and check it out and if it is not the water pump i can take it back but from where it is leaking it looks like the water pump. I have to fix the leak before I do anything else and maybe this is why it is over heating.

dcotter0579 05-20-2018 10:50 PM

You made it clear that it was leaking badly, but you also said there was no water in the oil which makes it unlikely that the water pump is the source of the leak since the water pump is located internally in the engine and a leak will almost certainly wind up in the oil. What you have not made clear in any fashion is where the leak is under the car. If it is at the front of the car on on the left side, it would be far from the water pump, which is located on the right side of the car.

furyfrank 05-20-2018 11:51 PM

Thanks this is the kind of input I am looking for. The leak is front the right side ( passenger) . Tomorrow I am going to look underneath and see if I can determine where it is coming from.

furyfrank 05-22-2018 10:04 AM

I went under the car yesterday and you cannot see anything. I was going to try and see if the weep hole was leaking and it is buried . So is their a way of seeing if the water is coming out the weep hole ? The alternator and A/C compressor are in the way of the thermostat housing.