Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 Sebring Compressor Clutch malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Default 01 Sebring Compressor Clutch malfunction

Hello All,

new to the forum. Long time chrysler owner. Have an 01 Sebring Sedan 2.7L. Since I purchased the vehicle, I have not had A/C. Working for Chrysler in Auburn Hills, I know enough to see if the clutch is engaging. It is not. HOWEVER, when i take something (even as small as a screw driver), and tap on the side of the clutch, it will engage, and I will have ice cold A/C until I turn the car off. I have sprayed plenty of WD-40 up in there, and it is not a matter of it being jammed or anything. No CEL or anything else is triggered in the car.

The tech I worked with at a local dealership was telling me the compressor is "bad"... eventhough it is perfectly fine when I tap on the end of the clutch. I am aware that with this model of vehicle, I cant replace just the clutch. I was hoping someone has had this issue and has found a fix without replacing anything.

Appreciate some feedback!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:30 PM

I have taken a video showing everything, I would love to upload it as I feel it would give a much better idea of the problem. Can someone tell me how to upload this?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

i doubt there is a clutch replacement avail

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Might try cleaning the contacts on the electrical leads going to the clutch on the off chance that dirty contacts are causing a weak current there. Can't hurt. Might help.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 AM

Is there a way I can take that clutch cover off without removing the belt off of the pully? I work for Chrysler and have the manual that shows my exact compressor with servicing instructions, but not sure if this is fixable.

I just hate knowing the compressor works perfectly fine, and all it takes is a light tap to work... yet it is a potential 700 dollar fix.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Aww hell........Gimme your address, and I'll have my next door neighbor mail you a Check...and you can go to the dealer and have it fixed.....or hire someone to go out and tap it for you before you drive away...

Exactly what do you do at Chrysler in Auburn Hills??? You have heard it from a "Trusted Co worker, you have seen it in a Service manual..(An Authorized Service Manual , No less) you are getting it from Master certified Chrysler Technicians on this board, and even some excellent advice from from valued members of this forum....

What does it take???..... You have a worn out clutch coil !!!

#1 -you have heard all the advice... #2-- you have seen all the service info #3 -You have verified the issue by Tapping on the clutch..

Replacing the clutch assembly is easy enough for Novice to accomplish in an hour or two, So get busy and go buy a clutch assembly.....

Now the problem....................

I personally , as well as "Chrysler Tech" , Have never seen a replacement clutch for the denso or Sanden compressors. No one manufactures them in the aftermarket. You might find one, you might not, But i've never seen one....

Used..?? No junkyard will "Split Up" a working compressor for parts.... A non working compressor...maybe, but if it locked up and got damaged, the clutch is no good anyway.

You need a compressor...

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Default AC Clutch

I was having the same problem with a chevy 95 pickup. I was told the clutch was bad and that eventhough the clutch could be replaced it would be better to replace the compressor. It was cooling fine when it cooled, so I knew the compressor was of. I went home and got some degreaser and washed the clutch contacts and it's still going. That was about 3-4 month ago. Good luck.

OMB

Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 PM

I agree with the contacts theory

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM

Why won't anyone supply a clutch? I have a good compressor, at least it's holding pressure. Clutch bearing went out and also ruined coil (previous ebay seller didn't disclose A/C no good)

Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

why dont u call up sandon and denzo and give them hell about not getting the parts u want.