Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   1997 sebring 2.5l no start (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/1997-sebring-2-5l-no-start-30867/)

Kenneth Murrell 06-26-2019 02:33 PM

1997 sebring 2.5l no start

i am sure this has been covered before i have a 97 2.5l that won't start it cranks has fire fuel and timing is good i have replaced timing belt i do have odd connectivity to the pcm with scan tool but putting that off to the age of car. any suggestion i feel like i have tried everything also the cam and crank sensors test good

thanks,

Kenny

REBEL59 06-26-2019 02:55 PM

Go back to the basics and check ground connections to the motor and body for CLEAN connections, That old like my 98 Avenger(same mechanicals). Then RECHECK the distributor harness connection,they like to get corroded and break. Next would be to check/test the ASD relay on the firewall.
Are you sure you have spark? Did you try a shot of starting fluid down the intake to see if it fires on that?

Kenneth Murrell 06-26-2019 03:16 PM

i have checked distributor and i checked spark with a inline tester and again the mother and it def has spark i have tried starting fluid yes and grounds are all clean and good that was first thine I did where is the ASD relay i keep hearing about the only asd rel;ay i can find is in the underhood fusebox

REBEL59 06-26-2019 03:40 PM

Since you have spark, then the ASD relay should be good. What is troubling is that you say you have fuel, yet starting fluid will not fire it off. That leads me to suspect the timing belt replacement did not go right and the cams are not aligned with the crank. Did it run before you changed the timing belt?

Kenneth Murrell 06-27-2019 07:05 AM

it was not running before belt but belt was changed cause of the water pump i have the timing marks lined up dead on i assume that is what you mean by cam not lining up

Kenneth Murrell 06-27-2019 07:08 AM

what is getting me is that the obd communications is so spoty on the car

REBEL59 06-27-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth Murrell (Post 110946)
what is getting me is that the obd communications is so spoty on the car

Still sounds like an electrical problem possibly with the ignition switch not making contact in the run position??? Yours is not an easy problem to track down(especially thru a forum) sight unseen! What is up about the H2O pump? was it bad/seized (stripped off belt teeth)or badly leaking?... These are an interference motor(vale/piston damage) and head gaskets do not do well to a bad "overheat" from a bad water pump. NOT easy to do, but sounds like a compression test is the next step.

Kenneth Murrell 06-27-2019 07:33 AM

it was leaking the compression is actually very low but the motor started when i first reassembled and hasn't started since. i will check the ignition switch if it helps it will try kinda to poiunt that if i crank long enough when i stop it will sputter a tad but spit white smoke back through throttle body