Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   1999 sebring died while driving. Replaced some part but still no joy. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/1999-sebring-died-while-driving-replaced-some-part-but-still-no-joy-29279/)

conan785 04-29-2018 02:12 PM

1999 sebring died while driving. Replaced some part but still no joy.

My wife was driving out 1999 Sebring in the rain and it died. Had it towed to the house and it would not start at all. So I started poking it with a stick. Looked like it was a no spark condition. I did a little research and started by replacing the crankshaft position sensor. No Joy. I then replaced the entire Distributor. Still no spark at all. I got air and fuel but can't seem to figure out why I got no spark. I'm sure I am missing something but can't figure it out. I did check the timing belt and it is fine, I checked the Fuel line and there is fuel moving. I did not slap a gauge on it. I have a ODB2 scanner but no codes at all. Any help would be greatly appreciate. I would hate to admit defeat and actually take it to a garage.

BiliTheAxe 04-29-2018 05:43 PM

Check the timing belt.

REBEL59 04-29-2018 05:55 PM

@.5 motor? How many miles on it? has the timing belt EVER been replaced yet? My best bet is either the timing belt sheared of some teeth (possible valve damage). OR the ASD relay, mounted on the firewall on drivers side(along with 2 or 3 other relays) died or has broken wires to/from it. Good luck in finding the fault, hope it doesn't get too expensive for you!

conan785 04-30-2018 03:22 PM

2.5 motor. 104K miles. Not sure about the age of the timing belt. Something tells me I had it replaced at some point but can't be 100% certain. But since two people suggested it I pulled off the cover and visually inspected the belt. It looks good. I also manually cranked the engine and checked all the teeth. Everyone is present and no cracking or any other signs of decay on the belt at all. Good tension as well. I marked the belt with Chalk and turned the car over with the key and the belt moved as well. So at this point I am leaning away from the timing belt. I also swapped the fuel relay with another and still no joy. I have no spark and can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key.

I have two fuse boxes that I can locate. on under the hood and the second on the side of the dash. Where is the ASD relay? I do not seen anything near the firewall but it is also crowded as hell right in there. Side note and I missed is on the original post. This is the convertible.

conan785 04-30-2018 03:38 PM

My monday stupidity cleared up..... Found the ASD relay. swapped with another and no joy. So that rules out the ASD relay. Just trying to figure out where to start looking next.
Thanks for the help so far. Any other ideas?

BiliTheAxe 04-30-2018 05:21 PM

Just for giggles, try disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and try starting it again. Some computers glitch and it takes resetting them to get anything out of them.
It might start, or it might not, but it is a cheap thing to try.

conan785 04-30-2018 06:29 PM

I tried the battery trick but nothing. I think I need to check the pin outs going to the Distributor to make sure that is working as advertises. The small pug should be 12V if I recall and I will have to research the others.

BiliTheAxe 04-30-2018 06:36 PM

Did you check the coils?
Check to see if the coils are getting power.

dcotter0579 04-30-2018 06:41 PM

Codes?

BiliTheAxe 04-30-2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 105638)
Codes?

He said no codes were coming up.