Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

08 Sebring shifter stuck PARK, acts stuck in NEUTRAL

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Default 08 Sebring shifter stuck in Park, acts stuck in Neutral - SOLVED

My 2008 Sebring 2.7L Touring Convertible after a normal trip home I braked, moved shifter to Park, key to off, & surprise, the car rolled forward when foot off the brake. Emergency brake now ON.

Shifter is physically stuck in Park. Research suggested a broken spring in the shifter, so… I removed the console, driver-side spring & connection seems intact, not broken. I can depress the passenger-side shift interlock lever (if that’s what it is) with engine running + brake applied, shifter will move out of Park into other settings, but….

No matter which console shifter gear-position, the gear-indication on the dash is alway NEUTRAL, & I never feel the transmission shift into reverse or drive.

Why is my shifter stuck in Park ?
When I free the shifter from Park, why won’t it shift into Reverse or Drive gear ?

Thanks in advance for helping me chase this.

Last edited by den458; 01-09-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: solved, done
Old 12-25-2018, 08:16 AM

Check the Shift cable connection out on the transmission...common for it to "pop off", and then it messes with the indicator cable for your interior positions.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 AM

REBEL59, thanks for the reply. YES, I just looked under the hood, while my wife moved the shifter in the range of Reverse to Drive, I can see a cable moving back & forth, disconnected from a lever that must control the transmission gearing. I'll take a closer look at what is required to reattach it. Back with an update shortly....

Old 12-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Little fragments remained of the original shift-cable bushing, which fell out. Nothing left now to hold the shift cable in place. No other choice I could find, I ordered the new bushing repair kit from bushingfix.com on eBay for $19.99 with free shipping. Will update when I have it in hand & try the fix, should be a no-brainer, based on the videos.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM

I have checked my shift transmission cable but couldn't find out exactely. don't know what's going with me.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nauman_mustafa
I have checked my shift transmission cable but couldn't find out exactely. don't know what's going with me.
You are posting on a thread for an entirely different generation of car. It would do YOU and anyone that would TRY and help you to make your own thread, and post EXACTLY what YEAR, MODEL(Coupe Sedan, Convertible), and motor size you have, along with a country you are from. And then you can post of the problems you have with it and what you have done to try and fix them. That way the BEST help will be possible to be posted to you.

Last edited by REBEL59; 01-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:21 PM

I don't think he understands how these things work.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 01-08-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
I don't think he understands how these thing work.
Agree'd ! I can understand folk not understanding auto repair and procedures...BUT how to get help on a forum .....

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM

UPDATE (sorry, overdue) - I did install the new bushing from bushingfix.com, reattached the shift-cable to the transmission shift lever, it works like new again, a fine solution to my problem. Then reassembled the console that I'd taken apart, not knowing better to look under the hood for the simpler solution first. Now functionally good as new.

Should a mod edit this thread a little then close this thread so we don't get new, misplaced posts on it? Thanks to all, Den.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM

I'd change the name of this thread to "08 Sebring shifter stuck in Park, acts stuck in Neutral - SOLVED" if I knew how...

Quick Reply: 08 Sebring shifter stuck PARK, acts stuck in NEUTRAL