Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2.7 liter overheating problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2-7-liter-overheating-problem-12201/)

moparnewby 08-21-2010 10:44 PM

2.7 liter overheating problem

I have 2001 Sebring convertible that blows compression into the coolant system and overheats. I'm pretty certain it is a cylinder head gasket leakage problem, and expect I'll have to replace it (yes, I have bled the coolant system). When the engine is started, bubbles come up into the reservoir and it overflows. However, it almost seems easier to remove the entire engine to perform this task than to try do it with the engine in the car (it's the rear head leaking). The Haynes manual I have does not have ANY engine removal info for the convertible or 2.7 engine. The Haynes manual refers to special tools as well, and I'm not sure if i can jury rig a tool or will have to fork over big money to the dealer to purchase those specialty tools. Any sage advice from anyone who has been there, done that would be appreciated. I bought the car cheap, but now, after I found out it has one of the most difficult engines to repair, the cheapness is wearing off. It is a really pretty car and I hate to just give up on it. Thanks in advance for your insights!

TNtech 08-22-2010 09:39 AM

Run! And run away fast! :eek:

dcotter0579 08-22-2010 09:03 PM

The cylinder heads can be removed with the engine in the car, but it's a LOT of work. So is pulling the engine. You might want to explore all options before taking this problem on. Get estimates for fixing this engine, replacing the engine and compare the cost to scrapping the car and replacing it.
If you are thinking of doing the work yourself, get a Chrysler service manual and study it to determine what special tools you'll need and whether you can borrow them from a local parts store or whether you have to buy them.
Come back here and share your story. We're all learning here every day.

moparnewby 08-23-2010 12:20 AM

chrysler 2.7 overheating problem

Thanks to both of the posts to my question and the honesty of those posts. I'm thinking, cut my losses now and hope some other poor fool steps in and takes this albatross off of my shoulder. If I have no luck there, I will start the slow and apparently, painful process of fixing this beast. I'll repost my success or lack of it. Thanks again!

TNtech 08-23-2010 07:15 PM

Newby, I didn't mean to seem nonchalant in my post but I see you understood my drift there:p

Seriously though, i've been pricing 2.7 engines and it doesn't look good. Cheapest salvage was around 1,300. They know what the demand is and junkers with a good 2.7 are a high demand item these days. An aftermarket reman will run you about 2,300. Been there done that it lasted 4 years then the timing chain jumped off and chainsawed through the valve covers. No doubt the engine is grenaded. Shew, don't get me started on 2.7L :eek:

IF you deside to do the work, the assembly is pretty straight forward UNTIL you get tp the timing chains and guides and tensioners, timing and all that. I could do it no problem BUT it took many teardowns to get good at it. If you do it wrong you're back at square one. Not trying to deter you, but I want you to be a happy person and not miserable that you blew the $$ :D