Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2.7L oil light on and off (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2-7l-oil-light-off-14496/)

flyboynm 04-28-2011 04:33 PM

2.7L oil light on and off

A friend of mine bought a 2005 Sebring Convertible with 137k miles on it. He has checked the oil and it is to the correct level and has for the last 5 months he has had it. It hasn't had any stuttering or anything so far. Now he is starting to have problems.

He starts up the car and drives it for about 25 miles one way on the highway. When he pulls off the highway and is in stop and go traffic, the oil light comes on. As soon as he pulls away from the light, the light goes off. He let's it sit for a few hours and starts up and has no problem with the light until he gets home and the light goes on and off like I described earlier. He says from time to time he smells a funny odor when he gets home and into the garage but not all the time.

I am thinking it is engine sludge. He has had the sensor replaced and it is still doing it. The mechanic said that he could not see any oil leak but the engine was filthy. Shortly thereafter the engine was cleaned and still shows no sign of leak.

Your thoughts?

CHRYSLER TECH 04-28-2011 05:40 PM

did he clean out the oil pressure switch the plug if it was leaking inside the plug?

flyboynm 04-28-2011 05:46 PM

I do not know. I showed this to him and he will ask his mechanic.

flyboynm 04-28-2011 08:26 PM

Yes, the switch was cleaned out

dcotter0579 04-29-2011 09:06 AM

Maybe the oil pressure is ACTUALLY low. Might want to consider putting on an actual oil pressure gauge and see what the readings are. When engines or oil pumps wear out, they can't maintain oil pressure at low RPM.

julia giron 04-29-2011 12:33 PM

HTML Code:

When he pulls off the highway and is in stop and go traffic, the oil light comes on. As soon as he pulls away from the light, the light goes off.
I have that same problem with my 1998 JXI 2.5L that has been rebuilt, before and after....lol
I have had a few backyard mechanics try to figure it out with no luck either?
The senior tech suggests to hook up a mechanical gauge, I suggest to permanently mount it inside your car for peace of mind!:rolleyes:
Hopefully its not the oil pump? but you got to remember chrysler didn't build these cars to last forever:D
I'm curious to know what the real problem is?

WWMock 04-30-2011 04:31 PM

I had the same problem with my 2002 Sebring, 2.7 engine. I replaced the oil pressure switch (sending unit) and that corrected the light flicker at idle. I replaced it about 6 weeks ago and so far so good!

tedhw 05-29-2012 08:14 PM

2002 sebring

I have a 2002 chryler sebring, the oil light has been coming on and off for a while, now it has quit coming on at but has started leaking oil all over the exaust, it started leaking when the oil light stopped coming on, are these 2 things related ?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-29-2012 11:06 PM

no one online can tell u where an oil leak is coming from

tedhw 05-30-2012 04:59 PM

I Asked if they could be related