Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2.7L problems (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2-7l-problems-771/)

chuckron 11-14-2005 05:00 PM

2.7L problems

I am currently looking at buying a 2001 and up sebring. I have one real concern with these cars however. The engine. I know I want the 6, but I have heard bad things about the 2.7L, not just in this application, others as well. Apparently there are large numbers of these engines that are prone to sludeg problems. I read that this was fixed as of 2002/3 but that was only one guy.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about these engines, ways to tell, ways to solve it, ways to avoid it.
I can't afford a new car, but I am looking at something with about 100k KMS, since those are the oens in my price range.

Thanks for any help

Midnight 85 11-14-2005 05:32 PM

RE: 2.7L problems

Here, this is some good info...

ORIGINAL: RIPSIGUY

There is nothing wrong with the design of this engine. What Chrysler failed to do was indicate that this particular vehicle/engine requires a more stringent maintence schedule, and probably should have specified synthetic oil for schedule "B" on 2.7L engines.

I have many 2nd gen Intrepids come into the shop that are RELIGIOUSLY serviced and have well over 100k on their 2.7's

I have seen a small handfull of chain guides breaking, and NO sludge. Definitely not a maintence issue there.

My point is, DCX failed to convey this to their customers... Serviced properly, the 2.7 is a fine engine. It's just that "proper" service intervals are much more stringent than most consumers are used to, or were informed of.

The newer 2.7's I see have oil coolers on them also. We all know these run hot. Hell, 190bhp from 2.7L is pretty impressive. It's just working it's ass of to do so.

I feel if you can prove you did the required oil changes, and you have a sludge problem, Chrysler should step up to the plate.
http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_56335/tm.htm

dusterdan 11-14-2005 07:21 PM

all i can offer is this . when you buy a used car with this engine, pull the oil pan, scape the sludge, use rtv form a gasket , forget about fac torque recs , put it back tight, change the oil and filter when it gets off color.......... ive never lost an engine since 1974 not bragging i just cant afford to

JXI101 11-15-2005 04:14 PM

I've never lost an engine... just transmissions... All of these are great advice... Im just posting to rack up points.. you know on the side there where it says how many posts you have...

Midnight 85 11-15-2005 08:22 PM

LOL JXI admitted to post whoring...

chuckron- If you are ready to take GREAT care of that engine, then go for it.

JXI101 11-16-2005 06:28 PM

hey, every forum has one... and it makes the admins consider me for a mod when matt quits lol... I wouldn't have the kind of time... blah blah blah blah blah... Did anyone here know I could speak german?

DED6ESEBRING 11-17-2005 12:33 AM

Wie gehts? Gut!

lol

When I was a Service Advisor for Chrysler, It was rare to see 2.7's in the shop for sludge problems. I had one, but that was because it was'nt taken care of. The customer bought it used from Enterprise Rental Sales (which I would never suggest doing...You can bet that the car was not kept up before the customer purchased it.) I turns out, Chrysler replaced her engine under the extended warranty she took out on it at time of purchase even though she couldnt produce oil change reciepts for the every 3,000 miles changes she did. They did it because they knew she bought it from Enterprise.

Anyway...that was in the Intrepid, which I think that engine is underpowered for that car anyway.

But now I have a question....whats the diff between the 190hp 2.7 thats in the intrepids/concordes/etc. and the 200hp 2.7 in the sebrings? Im not familiar with it....even though my new sebring has it

Midnight 85 11-17-2005 01:27 AM

Hmmm, My 2000 Intrepid had 200 hp... I swear it did...

JXI ist die amtliche Pfostendirne des Chrysler Forum

dusterdan 11-17-2005 01:37 AM

reason sporty versus fuel milage,200 has different dual-plenum intake manifold tuned for imprved low end torque in addition manifold has atuning valve

JXI101 11-17-2005 12:33 PM

midnight ist ein fettsack... Ich leibe dien mutter midnight! sie macht spass in das bett!