Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2000 jxi 2.5 v6 stalling when hot!!! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2000-jxi-2-5-v6-stalling-when-hot-7603/)

craigspeedy 02-17-2009 09:53 PM

2000 jxi 2.5 v6 stalling when hot!!!

hi all and thanks for reading.

im haveing trouble with my jxi convertable 2.5 v6 2000.

i was driving last week when my car stalled all of a sudden. i was driving at 40 mph. i drove about 8 miles before it stalled. it would not start straight after. after about 20 minutes of it just sitting it fired back up and drove on.

i checked a fuel pressure and i have fuel pressure. i have no codes. i then drove another 20 miles and it stalled again, this time i was ready. i pulled my plug out and i have no spark. i replaced crank sensor. drove it agian and this time after 2 miles it stalled again and would not start.

it is like something is getting hot and cutting out. i thought it was my crank sensor breking down and loosing resistance.

anyone have any ideas what may cause this and how to verify the problem?

once again i had no codes.

thanks for your help im stumped!!!

dcotter0579 02-18-2009 01:20 PM

If you browse around the forums here you might notice that several people have observed that if you need to replace a crank sensor, you probably should replace the camshaft position sensor too. They seem to fail together, for some reason. Either that or the crank sensor is fine and it was the cam sensor all along. Check the distributor too.
If you've got no spark, it's something in the spark chain.

irdaneel 02-18-2009 02:02 PM

My '97 2/5L sedan has the cam sensor integrated into the distributor. Not replaceable separately.

Also, if your model has an ASD relay (Automatic Shut Down) it may have become heat sensitive. That's a cheap and easy fix if so.

Clean and grease (non-conductive) as many of your connectors as you can find. Temp related issues with connectors are not uncommon.

craigspeedy 02-18-2009 09:11 PM

thanks for the input, it stalled today and i checked the cam sensor and it didnt have any output, but then 5 mins later it was working. the cam senor is in the distributer which i replaced 6 months ago. so looks like a part warranty.

i cant find anywere to say if my car has an asd relay, does anyone know if my asd is part of my disrtibuter?

thanks again guys/ girls and i will let you know what happens when i fit the disributer.

all the best

irdaneel 02-19-2009 04:24 PM

Some ASD Relays are in the PDC and labeled. Mine on the 97 sedan is the center one of a cluster of 3 mounted on the firewall - driver's side.

They are not a part of the distributor. It should look like many of the relays on the car. (a 1"X1"X1.5" plastic unit with an electrical connector on one end, or the same unit plugged in like a relay in the PDC.)

You may find a schematic at Autozone.com. I did.

Do your connections. That can solve many intermittent issues without ever needing to diagnose the problem.

craigspeedy 02-19-2009 11:03 PM

i have this from a chrysler manual to check my asd (SEE BELOW), the two way connector it is refering to is on the distributer. which what made me think it was in the distributer. i definatly have no relay in my PDC. and on the fuse box on the side of my dash.

check for continuity between PCM pin 6 and pin 2 of the 2-way connector (dark green/orange or black/red?) which is the ASD relay output wire

do any one know were the asd relay is located so i can jump it and check it.

thanks again.

irdaneel 02-21-2009 02:01 AM

Can't help you with where because I don't have the convertible. But keep in mind that the problem is intermittent, not constant, so when you check, sometimes it will have continuity and other times it won't. The test may not reflect the problem accurately because of that.

My problem was actually in the connection to the relay, not the relay itself. Simply cleaning and greasing the connection was sufficient.

Rick99 02-21-2009 07:57 PM

I had the same problem as you and I replaced the cam sensor/distributor to no avail. It turned out to be the ASD relay (interestingly, I was losing both cam and crank signal too). Anyway, I pulled the ASD relay and found that if I wiggled the blades just so, the coil would go open. A new ASD relay has solved the problem, so I would suggest you try that first-- even if you can't get the relay to "test" bad, it still may be bad.

The relay is not in the fuse box under the hood, but in a separate, attached square plastic box just toward the rear of the fuse box under the hood. I think I had to remove the air intake hose to get access to it.

irdaneel 02-22-2009 12:39 PM

Trace your color coded wires to find the right relay.

Rick99 02-24-2009 03:25 PM

... or look at the "map" on the underside of the square relay box cover and it will tell you which is the ASD