Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2001 sebring sedan front wheel studs (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2001-sebring-sedan-front-wheel-studs-7259/)

jamgratz 01-07-2009 08:02 PM

2001 sebring sedan front wheel studs

how do I replace the front wheel studs on my 01 sebring sedan? I have the calipar off, I got the axil nut off, but can't seem to get to where I can replace the studs.

dcotter0579 01-07-2009 08:25 PM

RE: 2001 sebring sedan front wheel studs

You need to pull the steering knuckle off. That's the part that holds the hub and turns to steer the car. To do that, you need some special tools to separate the ball joints that hold it on. Then you'll pull the knuckle off the drive axle.With the drive axle out of the way, you will be able to get to the bolts on the back side of it that hold the hub to theknuckle. You can unbolt the hub and press out the studs from that point.

I would suggest this: Buy or borrow from the library a Haynes manual for your Sebring. Read through the chapter on suspension and steering as it pertains to removal of the steering knuckle. Then you can decide whether you want to invest in the tools and spend the time and effort or whether you feel you are better off paying someone to do it.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

Cordoba Man 01-08-2009 08:03 AM

Pickle forks are cheap and easy to pop out ball joints from the knuckle, but they almost always wreak the seal on the ball joint. A press is more money, but worth every penny. What you will spend on the tool is about what you will save in labour if you do it yourself, and then the tool is 'free', and you will have it next time.

dcotter0579 01-08-2009 12:29 PM

Pickle forks are fine if you are replacing the ball joint. Like you say, they can be counted on to destroy the rubber boot. If you want to re-use the joint, you need a proper puller.

Cordoba Man 01-09-2009 10:15 AM

Worth every penny.

Rick99 01-09-2009 03:05 PM

Usually you can remove the wheel studs without removing the knuckle or hub. On my 97, there's a cutout area toward the front of the knuckle rotate the stud to that location and remove it. Yours most likely has a similar location.

I just replaced a few studs on my Durango and there was a place you can pull them out. The factory manual says not to bang them out with a hammer (like most people do), but to press them out with a special tool. I couldn't find the specialtool all the guys at the parts places said everyone just bangs them out, so I used a hammer as carefully as I could.

dcotter0579 01-09-2009 06:45 PM

Hammering on the studs is hammering on the bearing.