Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2002 Sebring 4dr Sedan SLX Brake Light Issue (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2002-sebring-4dr-sedan-slx-brake-light-issue-6869/)

zingerlicious 11-17-2008 06:48 AM

2002 Sebring 4dr Sedan SLX Brake Light Issue

Good Morning all, was hoping someone could shed some light on a brake light issue I am having. First the brake lights were on all the time, Key in or not, light switch on or not, and this of course caused the battery to die. I was going to pull the fuse but before I had to the lights went out, and now will not go back on when you press on the brake pedal. Running lights, etc. all work except the brake lights. I am thinking this is a faulty switch perhaps located on the pedal or something like that. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.
Also could really use a wiring diagram for same vehicle if someone has it.
Thanks again

dcotter0579 11-17-2008 05:17 PM

RE: 2002 Sebring 4dr Sedan SLX Brake Light Issue

I would definitely check that switch. Maybe it got loose or out of alignment, or maybe went bad.

To get to the switch, you'll need toremove the panel from under the dash. To do that, carefully pry off the bezel at the mirror switch, and remove the switch. Then remove the five screws holding the lower panel, unplug the deck release, and pull the panel out. You may need to remove the heater duct as well.

To remove the switch, press and holdthe brake pedal down, then grasp the switch, rotate it about 30 degrees counterclockwise and pull it out.

Disconnect it from the harness. To test it, connect an ohmmeter across the internal switches as follows:
The first switch is between terminals 1 and 2. (1 being farthest from the plunger, 2 is next, etc.) This switch should be open with the plunger out, closed with the plunger in.

The next switch is between terminals 3 and 4. It behaves just like the first one.

The last switch is between 5 and 6. It behaves opposite the other two, that is, closed with the plunger out, open with the plunger in.

When you re-install the switch, pull the plunger gently out all the way, (there's a ratcheting action to it) hook up the harness, depress and hold the pedal in, carefully re-insert the switch and lock it in with a clockwise turn of aout 30 degrees. As you slowly release the brake pedal, the switch will self-adjust as the plunger ratchets in.

zingerlicious 11-17-2008 06:59 PM

RE: 2002 Sebring 4dr Sedan SLX Brake Light Issue

Thanks so much I will try that tomorrow. Appeciate the advice

bandito 07-17-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by zingerlicious (Post 22042)
Thanks so much I will try that tomorrow. Appeciate the advice

My brake lights don't come on at all. I checked all three light sockets and all three have continuity, fuse isn't blown so the next step seams to be the switch. All bulbs are new. Just wondering, did fixing the switch fix your problem.