Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2002 Sebring Starting Problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2002-sebring-starting-problem-12293/)

2002sebringGA 09-02-2010 06:49 PM

2002 Sebring Starting Problem

2002 Sebring Starting Problem - 2.7 L V6
Problem: Won't start. When the key is turned, I can hear the starter relay click. That's the only think that can be heard. This is the third we have encountered the problem in the last couple of weeks.

First Time: The car was sitting in the garage and when we went out to start it, it wouldn't start. We tried a few time, then I tried checking that all the relays we tight by pressing on them and the car started. I can't remember how long it was between the last failed attempt to start and when it actually started. When it started, everything seemed perfectly normal. I assumed the relay had just come loose and the problem was resolved.

Second Time: The car had been sitting in the garage over night. Went to start it and nothing other than the relay clicking. We continued trying a few thing like removing the relay and tapping it. Wiggling wires to see if any were loose and still nothing. We call AAA to have it towed. The AAA guy ran a battery check and the battery tested strong. He then asked us to try to start the car and it started right up (just like normal). The AAA guy said his best guess was that it was the starter relay. He said that allowing it about an hour to sit may have given it time to cool down and reset (if it was somehow stuck). That seemed to make sense, so we REPLACED THE STARTER RELAY and hoped that it resolved the problem. That was last 5 days ago and it worked fine until now.

Third Time: The car is currently at the gym. After working out for about an hour, we came out and it did exactly the same thing. It hasn't started yet, but we are currently giving it some time to cool down after several failed attempts. We have also encountered a problem where the keyless entry won't always unlock the driver door. That was the case when we first entered the after the gym (we used the key on the driver door). We have since been able to unlock the door with the remote. I write this in case it could be a problem with the factory alarm. I wouldn't think this would be the problem since the starter relay clicks.

Is this a known problem for the Sebring? What would you guess is the most probable cause? I'm currently thinking that it's either a short in the starter or in the solenoid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TNtech 09-02-2010 07:32 PM

You have ignition switch, relay, fuse, starter and solenoid, SKIM module and the PCM. Whoever does try to diagnose it won't be able to tell you anything unless it's malfunctioning for them while they're pinning out connectors and such.

Some things you can do on your own. Swap the starter relay with a known good one such as the horn or A/C clutch. Just because it clicks, that doesn't always mean it's working. Pull the starter fuse and look for corrosion. Shove it back in a pull it out a couple times. Check for loose starter cable and solenoid wire.

CHRYSLER TECH 09-02-2010 08:00 PM

loud audible clunks are normally the starter itself

dcotter0579 09-02-2010 08:03 PM

Any codes?

2002sebringGA 09-02-2010 08:24 PM

TNtech, thank you for the detailed reply. I was able to borrow a screw driver and tap on the starter. It started right up, so I'm leaning toward a starter. What do you think?

2002sebringGA 09-02-2010 08:27 PM

dcotter0579, I don't have a code reader, so I don't know. I appreciate you bringing it as it may provide a clue. As noted in my reply above, we were able to get the car started after tapping on the starter. If there were codes, would they still be in the computer even after getting it to run? Thank you.

2002sebringGA 09-02-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 40360)
loud audible clunks are normally the starter itself

Thank you for your reply. There were no sounds (other then the small click of the starter relay). All three times it was like there was an on / off. I wouldn't get anything, then it would start as normal. As noted in my replies above, I was able to start the car by tapping on the starter, so I think that's it.

2002sebringGA 09-02-2010 09:48 PM

I take back the part about tapping on the starter. Upon further review with good light, it wasn't the starter I was tapping on. Now the mystery is why did it start all of a sudden. My guess would be plenty of time to cool down. Any thoughts?

mannythesaint 09-03-2010 10:13 AM

Same type of Problem on a 2001 Sebring Sedan 2.7

Car did not start after coming back from the store. I walked back home and I returned few hours later. Tried to start car and started right away. Drove home and parked it. Tried to star it next day and nothing. I measured voltage on battery and it shows 12.5 volts. When I turn the key and get nothing. I found out how to get codes from odometer. It gives me a p1282 code. I swapped fuel pump relay and nothing. Anyone has any ideas about troubleshooting this problem?

TNtech 09-03-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mannythesaint (Post 40383)
Car did not start after coming back from the store. I walked back home and I returned few hours later. Tried to start car and started right away. Drove home and parked it. Tried to star it next day and nothing. I measured voltage on battery and it shows 12.5 volts. When I turn the key and get nothing. I found out how to get codes from odometer. It gives me a p1282 code. I swapped fuel pump relay and nothing. Anyone has any ideas about troubleshooting this problem?

So you knew P1282 was a fuel pump relay control circuit code before you switched the relays? Ok, then next step is wiring diag. You may be in over your head on this one. I don't know your skill level, but it appears decent, better than most. Causes for DTC are Relay, Ignition Switch supply to relay, control ckt to PCM has a wiring issue that may be a harness rubbing somewhere or the PCM itself. Can you read wiring diagrams? If so, I can get you started.