Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2004 Sebring Limited + RB1 Nav ... any hope? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2004-sebring-limited-rb1-nav-any-hope-2347/)

TheRedFalcon 12-25-2006 01:00 AM

2004 Sebring Limited + RB1 Nav ... any hope?

[align=right]Post #2[/size]3[/align]I've done a fair amount of digging and have yet to come up with a definite answer one way or the other.

I picked up an RB1 off of ebay, tried to install it and found that my 2004 Sebring Limited had the old style harness (3 plugs instead of the 1 22pin on the RB1). I got and adapter harness and plugged the RB1 in. The RB1 works, except for started with the JEEP logo, steering wheel controls are not functional and the GPS nav does not seem to detect vehicle speed.

Has anyone else been able to make the RB1 work when used with the conversion harness? Is there some PCI bus compatibility problems and if so is there a way to resolve it?

Thanks![/align]

CHRYSLER TECH 12-25-2006 12:46 PM

RE: 2004 Sebring Limited + RB1 Nav ... any hope?

yeah the RB1 is a CAN bus system no way to change the logo and steering wheel and vec speed wont work. So all u will get is radio a limited gps sorry. and fyi the 22way is the old way.

TheRedFalcon 12-25-2006 05:10 PM

That's what I was afraid of. :(

In researching more since my post, it appears that the RB1 is expecting a J1850 bus protocol. In looking at the OBDII on my car, I see that there is no pin two, therefore no J1850 (isn't this a Ford protocol anyway, why would Chrysler/Mopar make a radio/nav that requires it?). Is there perhaps some way to pull it straight from the BCM? Looks like the bus protocol my Sebring is using is single wire ISO 9141-2 (which makes sense).

Thanks!

CHRYSLER TECH 12-25-2006 09:11 PM

all of the speed info is encoded using the PCI bus system. Unless u are an electric engineer and can decode binary electeric code via 7.5 volts be my guest. The BCM does not require any thing from the speed sensors ne way it will go stright to the Cluster for that. The J1850 protocol is generiic for any ones scan tools and will only access the PCM Engine computer not the other computers on the bus. The requirement for the radio to be on the bus is for several reasons one u have figured out by the radio steering wheel controls not working thats on the bus. Diagnostics for the radio, With the RB1 amp signals over the bus, and if u have fands free thats over the bus.
Hope this helps ya
Kevin

TheRedFalcon 12-26-2006 02:55 PM

Thank you for the details on this. I get the full picture now.

I have one other semi-related question. Since I now must venture into the realm of the non-factory aftermarket systems in order to get the in-dash Nav/XM/etc. that I want, what about an adapter to allow the use of my built-in steering wheel controls. I see that there is a conversion unit (SoundGate Remote6) but given the seeming oddity of the Sebring Coupe models (Limited included) will I run into the same 'bus' problems with this product?

Thanks!

CHRYSLER TECH 12-26-2006 03:57 PM

if u go after market u can almost forget about the steering wheel controls unless u get a good enough system that has a way of using the pci bus inputs from the factory harness. U will haft to see or call up the specs on the system u are looking into getting and see what can be done. I cant help much with the aftermarket systems out there i can only tell u how factory stuff works =)

TheRedFalcon 12-28-2006 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the insight and quick responses!

Sadly I pulled the RB1 (and TERK XM radio) out of my Sebring and installed in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Outland. (of course it works perfectly there) For myself I ended up getting the go ahead to find a replacement GPS, and am going with the Panesonic AVIC-N3w/XM Traffic & iPod adapter (ended up getting $500 off MSRP @ Cartoys). I think Iended upwith a better Nav unit, just spent way more than I intended to. Such is the way of Cars/Boats/Computers/etc.

Thanks!