Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2004 Sebring Sedan - front noise/rattling (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2004-sebring-sedan-front-noise-rattling-2833/)

craig 04-05-2007 06:31 PM

2004 Sebring Sedan - front noise/rattling

Ialso have a 2004 Sebring Sedan and like many recent posts, I have a rattling or clunking noise which seems to be coming from the front somewhere, maybe under dashboard - - but sometimes it sounds like it is under the hood. It developed at around 30,000 miles and my dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with the car, let alone fix the issue. Chrysler Tech has kindly responded to some of the recent posts and I think there is a TSB in September 2004 (#2301203) regarding the issue - - but another poster said that the TSB may not have cured his problem. Maybe Chrysler Tech can review the TSB and give us some insight.

I also have been told that there is an "A" pillar (which I was told is the upright sheet metal post between the front door and windshield) which sometimes begins to rattle and clunk. This may also cause the rattling sound to be heard under the dash near the CD player. Any thoughts Chrysler Tech whether this can be examined and fixed? My car is now beyond warranty andthe dealer has tried many times, also like another poster, to find and fix the problem without success (while the car was under warranty).

Finally, another poster said that his struts were probably causing the problem. Any insightsare appreciated.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-05-2007 08:02 PM

RE: 2004 Sebring Sedan - front noise/rattling

did they do the tsb u said or not?? if not that would be a good place to start and i am only guessing because i cant heard the noise myself. The a piller would not even attach to any part under the dash it is only from the windshield area thats it. U may have 2 different issues thinking they are one read the tsb and see it it applys to u.

craig 04-06-2007 01:14 PM

Thanks Chrysler Tech.

I know you haven't heard the noise, but the best I can describe it is a rattling, sometimes creaking or light clunking - - not a grinding.Sometimes it sounds like it iscoming from under the car - -and when it does, it sounds like a creak (similar sound to walking over a loose floor board or a loose wood step). Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from under thehood or under the dash, and when it does, it sounds likea rattling or light clunking - - almost as if 2 pieces of metal or wires are clanging together. Otherwise, the car actually runs very smooth.

I have not tried the TSB, I just found out about it on this forum - - another poster referred to the TSB issued in September 2004. Where can you get these to read?

CHRYSLER TECH 04-06-2007 03:58 PM

give me the last 8 of your vin and i will email to u all the related tsbs for that noise

drutkay 04-08-2007 02:25 PM

Hi - I finally found something on this problem. I've been faced with the noise for the last three months and of course the dealer couldn't find a problem. I first took it in just prior to the end of the 3 yr warranty period, and had it back twcie since. It is very much as Craid described - like two pieces of metal clanging together. They changed the swaylink bushing and the lower control arm. Because it was done after the warranty pd, they agreed to cover the parts if I covered the labour. However, the problem reappeared two days later. Naturally, because the sound is infrequent, it didn't appear when the car was in the dealer for two days this past week. It has stopped for now. At least I have the TSB 23001203 to use as reference. Is there anything else I should know, or pass onto the dealer when I am in next? I saw one website that noted that two rivets need to be installed in the struct assembly.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-08-2007 08:59 PM

if your car falls into that tsb by build date

craig 04-09-2007 11:20 AM

Thankas again Chryler Tech. Drutkay, please post what you find after showing the TSB to the dealer and if it worked. Thanks.

drutkay 04-11-2007 12:24 AM

The noise reappeared this afternoon. As I was just around the corner to pick up a rental car for a business trip, this was the perfect time to take my Sebring in. I saw the same service rep and explained what I found online. He was amazed when he checked the Chrysler tech site with my VIN and found the TSB - he had never heard of this one before. He called the shop supervisor, who also had checked the car a week earlier, to explain what was found. They are going to do the repair as a warranty claim.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-11-2007 02:47 AM

oo good god checking the web site for a tsb is one of the first things u ever do man sorry for the dealership being that way.

craig 04-11-2007 11:11 AM

Good luck drutkay. Again, please let us know what happens.

Chrysler Tech - - my dealerobviously did not check for TSB's either. They have looked at my car several times as well about this. The biggest thing they triedto do to help - - which was covered by warranty - -was to replacethe engine mounts. Now my car is just over 36,000miles and beyond the warranty. I was thinking of showing them the TSB from 2004, asking them why they didn'tlook this up - - and see if they'll cover itunder warranty as Ihave been trying to get this fixed for several months. What do you think?