Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2008 Sebring Trans flush vs Trans Service (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2008-sebring-trans-flush-vs-trans-service-11282/)

parlayjay 04-15-2010 02:00 PM

2008 Sebring Trans flush vs Trans Service

Hello all.

I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring LX 2.4L I4 Auto.

I scheduled a transmission flush with my dealer to the tune of $225 plus tax. I was a bit flustered to I called a local shop close to me. He quoted $109 plus tax. I asked what that included and he said "Well, just a flush". I asked about the filter, gaskets, etc and he said "That's old technology, it's not needed." I told him what AAMCO had quoted and told him they covered the filter, gasket, etc. He said, "well of course they said they do that. This way they can take the pan off and say that this and this is wrong. If you say you're not going to get the work they advise to you they'll put the pan back on and not do the work. I'm not in the business of selling you a transmission but they are so its up to you."

Does this sound like somebody who is being half way honest or is he mistaken about it being "old technology"? What's the difference.

Thanks for all your help.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-15-2010 03:04 PM

lets make is even more simple in your owners manual will be a schedule of what U should have done at what time frame unless U have 80 or 90k on it by now dont worry about it second which tranny do U have in it as well.
a flush will replace all the fluid in it the service will replace the filter inside which is still needed to be done at 80k.

Crazcnuk 04-17-2010 02:41 AM

What ahppened was, the industry (gov't?) whoever, passed a rule that the lube shops can't take the pan off the transmission unless there is a licenced mechanic on site.

So, they develeoped a system for changing the fluid without removing the pan.

From what I have seen, there isn't a lot of reason to change the filter, unless dirt has been getting in, or there has been excessive wear, but how do you know if you don't take the pan off to change the filter?

The lube shops would love to sell you the parts too, if they could.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-17-2010 06:29 AM

"From what I have seen, there isn't a lot of reason to change the filter" where do u get this data from are u some one that does this on a daily basis or is it just your opinion?

"What ahppened was, the industry (gov't?) whoever, passed a rule "
what law is this? where is this at?

Crazcnuk 04-18-2010 03:28 AM

Both are what I was told by the lube shop doing the flush. I am in Alberta, maybe it's a local rule, I don't know. They said they used to change the filters but are no longer allowed to remove the pan unless they have a mechanic onsite.

As I said, the main reason to take the filter out and look at it is to see if you are getting excessive wear internally, otherwise what would be collecting in the filter?