Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2010 sebring popping in front (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2010-sebring-popping-front-29465/)

2010_sebring 06-05-2018 11:08 PM

2010 sebring popping in front

Hearing noises from front possibly left side (drivers side) . 90K miles. put car up on ramps and did a visual inspection, didn't see any torn CV boots (half-shafts), can feel popping into steering wheel just a bit when noises occur. seems to be more prominent during turning but also noticed during braking but then sometimes noise goes away , but sure to return. Any suggestions on narrowing this down? the noise is a popping but not grinding and is occasional but consistent and at slow speeds when turning or braking. definitely front-end noise but could it be brakes involved? again visual inspection was perfect, no visual indications of broken ball joints or control arm issues.

Dermy14 10-06-2021 08:12 AM

I have a similar issue with my 2007 Pacifica - aprrox. 114000 miles. My noise has been happening more noticeably recently when turning while nearly stopped, like when navigating through a 3-point turn. It sounds like I can hear gears mildly grinding against each other.

But then, also, I've been hearing what I call a "ping" but could be also a popping, when turning, particularly if I've quickly decelerated prior to the turn.
I have recently replaced front brakes, struts, all 3 motor mounts, and tie rods. Ball joints are leaking mildly but in fair condition. Control arms look pretty serviceable also. There's a fair amount of underbody road noise in general (that was the impetus for much of the suspension work in the first place, but the noises continue!)

I'm thinking it's the CV axle(s) itself/themselves. But, I'd also love to hear that I just need to add some gear oil of some kind somewhere and the thing will keep going no problem. I know this is an older thread, but hoping to revive it to get some education and clarity from the group

dcotter0579 10-06-2021 06:42 PM

Rather than waking up an old thread in the Sebring section of the forum, why don't you try posting your question in the Pacifica section where Pacifica owners hang out? You might actually get a Pacifica owner to respond with a useful answer.

cjb108 10-07-2021 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_sebring (Post 106224)
Hearing noises from front possibly left side (drivers side) . 90K miles. put car up on ramps and did a visual inspection, didn't see any torn CV boots (half-shafts), can feel popping into steering wheel just a bit when noises occur. seems to be more prominent during turning but also noticed during braking but then sometimes noise goes away , but sure to return. Any suggestions on narrowing this down? the noise is a popping but not grinding and is occasional but consistent and at slow speeds when turning or braking. definitely front-end noise but could it be brakes involved? again visual inspection was perfect, no visual indications of broken ball joints or control arm issues.

I would suggest inspecting your front shock-spring assemblies, especially the cast-aluminum mounting plates that connect the tops of the shocks to the body of the car. There's a rubber bushing that you can see from the engine compartment looking down at the fender. if that's missing you'll get a lot of play in your front shock assembly