Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   2013 Chrysler 200 Squeal from under hood. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/2013-chrysler-200-squeal-under-hood-30636/)

svitakwilliam@yahoo.com 04-14-2019 04:16 PM

2013 Chrysler 200 Squeal from under hood.

Hello All,

i have searched and searched and I am at a loss here. I have owned this vehicle since it had just under 50,000 miles on it and it now has 101,000. 4 years now. This has had a squeal, almost cricket like under the hood since the day I bought it. They replaced the alternator when I first got it, but it came back. Chrysler replaced the water pump last year but it came back. I replaced the tensioner, belt and upper lower idler pulley and still there. I did the water pump again as I thought it may be bad, flushed and re filled coolant and squeal is back.

This usually happens after the car warms up, about 15 minutes or so. At first it’s intermittent, but eventually it’s there the hole time you drive. High idling will quiet it momentarily.

I Bought a stethoscope and it was hard to figure it out, but seemed like one of the PS lines may be picking up the noise, but I cannot guarantee it. This has never affected the way the vehicle drives, but is now affecting my ability to sell it. Car otherwise runs and drives great.

FYI...both the alternator and water pump were replaced under warranty. Issue was there while under warranty but they couldn’t figure it out. Warranty has since expired. I am very handy and have been working on cars for 18 years, but I am stumped. My wife is upset that I keep throwing money at it, but I can’t sell it with this noise so anybody that has experienced this please let me know.

Any advice is appreciated.

REBEL59 04-14-2019 05:16 PM

You may want to try flushing out as much of the power steering fluid from the power steering system and refill with fresh ATF+4 oil that it calls for. Power steering pump noise was a fairly common complaint in the 08-14 200/Avenger series. A nearly empty system will hold about 1.5 quarts of oil. Other than that you may have to replace the powers steering pump, but since you say you want to sell out...try the P/S fluid change.

svitakwilliam@yahoo.com 04-14-2019 07:33 PM

Thanks Rebel for a quick reply.

Originally Posted by REBEL59 (Post 110183)
You may want to try flushing out as much of the power steering fluid from the power steering system and refill with fresh ATF+4 oil that it calls for. Power steering pump noise was a fairly common complaint in the 08-14 200/Avenger series. A nearly empty system will hold about 1.5 quarts of oil. Other than that you may have to replace the powers steering pump, but since you say you want to sell out...try the P/S fluid change.

Funny you should say that as I was just looking up the PS fluid type for this car, thinking that at the very least I could change the fluid with a good quality fluid and see if that helps in anyway, I wouldn’t mind changing out the PS pump if I was 100 percent that was it, but man I sure do hope that’s it. It’s been the squeal of hell, lol. Thanks again for the advise.

I will continue to update on any work done and progress made for as long as I own the vehicle.