Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   3.5L timing belt replacement (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/3-5l-timing-belt-replacement-30410/)

AJfixit 02-05-2019 04:18 PM

3.5L timing belt replacement

Has anyone replaced the timing belt on a 3.5 litre Sebring?

REBEL59 02-05-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by AJfixit (Post 109375)
Has anyone replaced the timing belt on a 3.5 litre Sebring?

No, i have not changed one on a 3.5...BUT as the Sebring has had a number of generation design changes, it would be nice if you posted what year yours is for those that have.

FIREM 02-06-2019 06:50 AM

Yes, 08 Sebring 3.5 Hardtop/Droptop transverse mounted engine. It was a PITA compared to the LH with the engine front to back mounted. Those can be done in 2.5 hours. Book time for Sebring is in excess of 6 hours.
Had to remove some of the engine mounts to raise and lower engine for access. Right front wheel off along with part of the fender liner to get to the front of the engine. P/S pump has to be removed and the bolts are "E" type heads requiring a special socket.
I did a write up on the Sebring Convertible Club forum :
Finally got around to replacing the timing belt @ 10 years/65k. Overdue by age for sure. As previously noted, have changed many 3.5 timing belts on other model cars and they almost always "look" good. Belt removed did not show any "distress" but was rather "hard" and less flexible than the new one installed.
Job was rather labor intensive. Required removal of the forward and right side (front of engine) mounts and raising/lowering engine numerous times for accessing various bolts. Obviously the coolant and P/S reservoirs had to be removed. The P/S pump also has to be unbolted from its mount to access the front cover bolts. P/S bolts are "E" type or reverse torx head bolts that I was able to remove with a 3/8 12 point socket. Vibration damper must be removed to get the cover off. There are 2 torx fasteners on the cover behind the serpentine belt tensioner that must go back in the correct location.
Once the covers were off, rotated the engine to align the timing marks prior to removing the belt. Alternately backing out the tensioner bolts to release the belt for replacement. Reassembly can be done by alternately tightening the bolts pulling the tensioner back in. NO need to compress and pin the tensioner as noted in the FSM. It is also NOT necessary to remove the valve covers and rockers as noted in the FSM.
It took about 8 hours to do the job.

AJfixit 03-26-2019 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds like a PITA, but dropping 1200-1500 clams at the dealership does too. I'm going to undertake next month. I thought I'd have plenty of spare time after I retired, Ha now I wonder how I ever managed to find time for a full time job.

AJfixit 03-26-2019 06:12 PM

FireM, by the way,On my 08 Sebring Limited 3.5 drop top hard top, would you happen to know where the PCV valve is hidden ? I've looked all over for it , with a flashlight,too. My best guess is it's hidden under the Intake runners on the firewall side cam cover. Am I right? I hope not. Art.

FIREM 03-27-2019 10:12 AM

1. Remove positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose (3) from PCV valve (2).
  2. Unscrew PCV valve (2) from valve cover (1).https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.chr...34d8aac527.gif

Calab 06-20-2023 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by AJfixit (Post 109937)
Thanks for the info, sounds like a PITA, but dropping 1200-1500 clams at the dealership does too. I'm going to undertake next month. I thought I'd have plenty of spare time after I retired, Ha now I wonder how I ever managed to find time for a full time job.

Old thread, but I thought I'd ask... Did you ever do that timing belt on your '08? I'm looking to do the same on my 2010 hardtop.

AJfixit 08-15-2023 06:12 PM

Not yet, it's a fair weather car. Been driving it on a wing and a prayer. I've had 2 Knee replacements in the last 3 years,so I've been a bit off my game.