Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   96 sebring convert JXI won't start but runs (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/96-sebring-convert-jxi-wont-start-but-runs-15056/)

gkoves 06-23-2011 09:31 PM

96 sebring convert JXI won't start but runs

I have a problem with this car that I cannot solve. Any help is appreciated. 2.5L SOHC engine. Car would start up only after several attempts. I am talking about 10 or 15. When it starts up it idles fine and runs OK. Engine is even
Relatively new distributor and plugs and wires. When I take off the thick black tube going from the air filter to the intake manifold and spray startup fluid into to intake it starts up right away, repeatedly. It needs very little of the spray. Measured vacuum, steady at 17 and fuel pressure:47 as it says in Chilton where they should be. Tested air intake and coolant temperature sensor as per Chilton, they are fine as well the resistances on the Idle Air Control Motor. Battery is good. Voltage does not drop much with cracking.
Also once I started up the engine starting it up again is much easier needing 2-3 attempts only. If I don’t use it for 24 hours hard to start up again. But sometimes it would not want to start up when warm.
–.
Any ideas why it won’t start up right away?

gkoves 06-23-2011 11:15 PM

edit

Originally Posted by gkoves (Post 51401)
I have a problem with this car that I cannot solve. Any help is appreciated. 2.5L SOHC engine. Car would start up only after several attempts. I am talking about 10 or 15. When it starts up it idles fine and runs OK. Engine is even
Relatively new distributor and plugs and wires. When I take off the thick black tube going from the air filter to the intake manifold and spray startup fluid into to intake it starts up right away, repeatedly. It needs very little of the spray. Measured vacuum, steady at 17 and fuel pressure:47 as it says in Chilton where they should be. Tested air intake and coolant temperature sensor as per Chilton, they are fine as well the resistances on the Idle Air Control Motor. Battery is good. Voltage does not drop much with cracking.
Also once I started up the engine starting it up again is much easier needing 2-3 attempts only. If I don’t use it for 24 hours hard to start up again. But sometimes it would not want to start up when warm.
176K miles. Code P0171 (= "fuel system lean" according to this forum) keeps coming back after I delete it
–.
Any ideas why it won’t start up right away?

any help/idea is appreciated

dcotter0579 06-24-2011 11:37 AM

Does that car have a check valve in the fuel system? It sounds like it's fuel starved after the 24 hour layover. The check valve is supposed to prevent that.

The most likely place for a check valve is at the fuel pump, which, unfortunately, requires removal of the fuel tank to get to.

gkoves 06-24-2011 11:06 PM

Thanks you very much for your quick response.
I have no idea if this car has a check valve or not. But the way I tested the fuel pressure was by disconnecting the fuel cable from the fuel rail and connecting the pressure meter to the fuel line. When I turn the ignition on pressure immediately goes up to 47 and when I turn it off it would stay there steadily for several minutes. According to Chilton if the check valve is bad, pressure should drop sharply. I will get a T piece as a next step to connect the pressure gauge to the fuel line, crank the engine and see what happens when it cranks and runs. I will get back to you – likely this will take some time.

gkoves 06-25-2011 11:35 PM

I bought a T piece and connected the pressure gauge in between the fuel line and the fuel rail. Again when I turn the ignition on, pressure goes up to 45.But when I crank the engine it shoots way above 70 KPa which is the limit of my gauge. I start the engine up with some starter spray and preasure is consistently above what the gauge can measure. Chilton says it is the fuel pressure regulator or a clogged return hose if pressure is too high. Do you know where fuel pressure regulator is in this car? Can a broken vacuum hose cause this? Is there any flaw in my testing? If fuel pressure high why do I get a P0171 code? Again it is a 96 sebring convertible 2.5L SOHC. Thank you in advance.

dcotter0579 06-26-2011 03:13 PM

On that car, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump, located in the fuel tank.

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Might be an unrelated problem.

gkoves 06-27-2011 11:51 PM

I still can't put this together. Fuel pressure too high, but fuel system too lean, engine not getting enough fuel on startup. So how is the P0171 triggered? Would you change the pressure regulator and check the return line as a first step?

gkoves 06-28-2011 12:00 AM

I just realized the red text was a link. Will check out the MAF sensor

gkoves 06-28-2011 03:13 PM

I took out and cleaned the MAF sensor. It was quite dirty, cleaned it with brake cleaner. It took 15 tries to start the car up as usual. Check engine light still on. I tured it off with my OBD reader and took a 10 mile trip. Check engine light did not come back on, as it would have before. Now engine strats up first try when warm (before it was 2 or 3). Will see what happens when it sits for a while.