Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   97 JXI Transmission issues " stuck in 2nd " (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/97-jxi-transmission-issues-%22-stuck-2nd-%22-4696/)

sexpot69 01-30-2008 01:31 AM

97 JXI Transmission issues " stuck in 2nd "

Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie with transmission issue's [:@]My 97 JXI wich I love by the way and has @155k and still going strong!
Lately,
I will bring it up to operating tempature, and all is well for the first 5 to 10 miles then for some odd reason it shifts in to 2nd gear and wont release out of this gear no matter what you do? :(I wind up having to drive it back home stuck in second gear, does this mean I amgoing to need a new transmission? or could it be a simpler condition that can be repaired with out the expense of a new trans?
Thanks for any advice you may have:eek:
Julia

WYOCHIMNEYSWEEP 01-30-2008 07:24 AM

RE: 97 JXI Transmission issues " stuck in 2nd "

ussually 2nd gear is the fail safe gear. probably something electrical wrong with the trans. good luck. when it acts up take it to a trans shop and see if the trans will communate

moe 01-30-2008 09:24 AM

sound like its going into limp mode,does the check engine light come on?moe

sexpot69 01-30-2008 02:00 PM

The checkengine light is on, A mechanic at the gas station read a code of the 02 sensor malfunctioning, but said he may be reading it incorrectlyand it could also mean something else?[X(]
But to me, actually this little light is kinda confusing[:'(]I thought that a check engine light wassuppose to bea easy way to diagnoise a problem witout the guess work.

Anyhow I will reluctantly[&o] take it to the transmission shop and have it checked out, unless their mightbe anything else you guys can think of that will cause this situation and can be repaired cheaper:eek: ?
Other than submitting it to the dreaded transmission shop
Thanks for any more advice!

moe 01-30-2008 03:04 PM

if you need to have it checked out you better off going to a good dealership.

sexpot69 06-23-2008 11:12 AM

Update: 06/23/08
Since last thread transmission has been rebuilt at a cost of $1400.00 rebuilt by santa ana transmission O.C Ca. ( best deal I could find ) running and shifting fine now.:eek:but now having ECU/computer problems 158k battery light coming on, not charging, intermittant and getting worse? Apparently I have been diagnoised as needing a new ecu $500 after already replacing battery and alternator $200, Does this happen often with this model? looks to be a factory thing to get spend more of your money? as with the trans also[:@]after reveiwing all posts pertaining to?
Thanks as always for any expert advise:)