Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   97 sebring conv. frt. end noise (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/97-sebring-conv-frt-end-noise-818/)

sulup 11-27-2005 04:31 AM

97 sebring conv. frt. end noise

This post is for Dusterdan and JXi101, Just to let you guys know I fixed my dash cluster.Thanks to both of you for giving me some valueable info. on how to fix it.I have other issues with this car(97 sebring conv. 6cyl) and maybe you can suggest what it may be. When turning the wheel from left to right either going forward or reverse,and also sitting still,I get a banging noise in the front end.It sounds like it`s coming from both sides.I took to two mechanics.One said it was the lower control arm bushings on both sides,and the other said my front and rear motor mounts were bad.Well I replaced the bushings(one on each side)and the motor mounts.Guess what I still have the noise.Any Ideas` is to what it may be? The other thing is the stock radio I can`t lower the volume. When I turn the knob it turns like it`s stripped. Hope to get some help on these problems. Thanks

sulup 12-07-2005 12:02 AM

RE: 97 sebring conv. frt. end noise

Looking for some help on two problems with my 97 sebring JX conv. (6cyl).When turning the wheel left or right going forward or reverse I here a banging noise from the front end.It sounds like it`s on both sides(hard to tell).I took it to two local mechanics,one said it was the lower control arm bushings, and the other said it was the front and rear motor mounts.Well I replaced the bushings(one on each side)and the motor mounts.Guess what, that`s right I still have ths problem.So before I empty my bank account on any more socalled mechanics,Can anyone help me with this problem.Also the stock radio volume knob seems to be stripped,I cannot lower or raise the volume.Any ideas on these two issues? Thanks

JXI101 12-07-2005 12:24 PM

alright.. .The radio.. buy a new one, you can't fix it and it was a more than common problem in all of their vehicles. You have a 97 *in a deep majestic voice* "and so it begins"... according to trixie, and the consumer reports. you have the worst car of that year, no joke, but we can rebuild him. ok. The front end noise could be any massive number of things. I want to start guessing at what seems most likely, but I need more info. Is it one BANG!, or is it like a continuous rolling "thunder" kind of banging? I need to know this man, so whenever, I can start helping you. but yeah, ditch the radio. Mine did it, every sebring does it. it's asian, what do you expect?

sulup 12-07-2005 09:20 PM

Thanks for getting back to me,and thanks for your help on fixing my tach & odometer.Now the noise in the front end.It is a one time bang when turning the wheel left or right,not a rolling bang.Hope this helps. Thanks

JXI101 12-07-2005 10:13 PM

IT could be your boot/ CV joint. Check them out, and make sure your bushings on the steering rods are all in tact... This is really wierd if you ask me, and I'm just kind of spitballing but go ahead and check that stuff out first. sounds like it's definately in the steering system/ framework itself... let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary...

sulup 12-08-2005 03:48 PM

Thanks for the tips,I`ll let you know what I find in a couple of days.