Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   98 Sebring Scanner Won't link (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/98-sebring-scanner-wont-link-11477/)

kdagenais 05-13-2010 12:58 PM

98 Sebring Scanner Won't link

Okay here is my problem got a free car and it is a 98 Sebring with 2.5 and it doesn't start unless you spray it with starting fluid. Try to scan it the scanner doesn't connect. Also checked for power at the fuel pump and there is no power. Car had a alarm in it and am wondering if they did something for the engine kill that didn't see when I removed it. Hooked all the wires back to stock when it was removed and everything appears to be working exept it doesn't start. Guess the first thing need to figure out is why the scanner dosn't link which tells me the ecm is dead or has no power. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dcotter0579 05-14-2010 03:37 PM

"Also checked for power at the fuel pump and there is no power."

There's a clue for you. Since it apparently starts when you spray it with starting fluid, you must have a spark. That rules out your computer, distributor, crankshaft position sensor and the whole ignition system as a source of the problem.

If you have spark and fuel at pressure, you should start and run.

Nobody here has any idea what the previous owners did to your car so you'll have to track that down yourself. Shop manuals are sometimes available on eBay at a good price, or elsewhere on the web at a steep price. You got the car cheap, now invest in a manual to get it running.

The Haynes manual has some wiring diagrams but it's much better oriented toward the coupe in that regard. If yours is a coupe, you might be in luck. The coupe and the convertible are very different automobiles.

kdagenais 05-21-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 37224)
"Also checked for power at the fuel pump and there is no power."

There's a clue for you. Since it apparently starts when you spray it with starting fluid, you must have a spark. That rules out your computer, distributor, crankshaft position sensor and the whole ignition system as a source of the problem.

If you have spark and fuel at pressure, you should start and run.

Nobody here has any idea what the previous owners did to your car so you'll have to track that down yourself. Shop manuals are sometimes available on eBay at a good price, or elsewhere on the web at a steep price. You got the car cheap, now invest in a manual to get it running.

The Haynes manual has some wiring diagrams but it's much better oriented toward the coupe in that regard. If yours is a coupe, you might be in luck. The coupe and the convertible are very different automobiles.

Well got it running and apparently had two issues and thought they where connected. The fuel pump was bad and have to say that it was the easiest fuel pump i ever had to change (didn't even get fuel on me). For the diagnostic port is concerned it is dead and not really worried about that just planning on selling the car anyway.