Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   99 Sebring Covertible U.S. car in Canada (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/99-sebring-covertible-u-s-car-canada-24488/)

James Buchy 05-27-2015 09:08 PM

99 Sebring Covertible U.S. car in Canada

Hi everybody

My first post: :D

I live in Edmonton, Alberta and I am a brand new owner of a 1999 Sebring JXI Convertible. It is in fabulous condition with only 93,933 miles. I would like to know if I can convert the speedo to kilometers from miles. I could try to find an IP at a local boneyard but I want the odometer to show accurate kilometers, which would be around 150,000 kilometers. Is this even possible?:confused:

Jim

dcotter0579 05-27-2015 09:47 PM

I would doubt very much that it's possible. I believe that the odometer reading is stored both in the instrument panel (or the body computer) and the engine computer and that they must agree. I do not believe there is any way to change from km to miles short of changing all the computers and the IP and reprogramming the whole car. If it were easy to do then dishonest people would be doing it for nefarious purposes.

If it can be done, then a Chrysler dealership could do it. You might want to take it there and at least ask. If parts are required, they can probably no longer get them due to the age of the car, but if it's a question of re-programming the computers to display km, then perhaps they can do it. For a fee, of course.

James Buchy 05-27-2015 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 89456)
I would doubt very much that it's possible. I believe that the odometer reading is stored both in the instrument panel (or the body computer) and the engine computer and that they must agree. I do not believe there is any way to change from km to miles short of changing all the computers and the IP and reprogramming the whole car. If it were easy to do then dishonest people would be doing it for nefarious purposes.

If it can be done, then a Chrysler dealership could do it. You might want to take it there and at least ask. If parts are required, they can probably no longer get them due to the age of the car, but if it's a question of re-programming the computers to display km, then perhaps they can do it. For a fee, of course.

That is, of course, exactly what I expected. Way back when Canada converted to metric you could buy a device called a "kiloverter" which was simply a gear drive that was installed in line with your speedo cable. This would speed up the cable to cause the gauge to display you speed in kilometres. This was perfectly legal but you were required to affix some sort of permanent note on the dash somewhere that the odometer reading was altered at "X" number of miles and that all numbers past that point would be in kilometers. This is required now if you need to replace a defective speedometer.