Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Aligning timing chain on camshaft sprockets? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/aligning-timing-chain-camshaft-sprockets-12312/)

markush 09-04-2010 08:17 PM

Aligning timing chain on camshaft sprockets?

I pulled the attached instructions from another post here and need some clarification on aligning the chain on the Right (rear) camshaft sprocket. In the description (in red) it says the third plated link should be just past the 12 o'clock position but what part of the sprocket gets lined up with this link? on the one I'm working on the sprocket only has a hole in it but when the link is near 12 the hole is at about 2 o'clock...about 3-4 teeth off?

Does anyone has a photo or or an image from a manual they can post or point me to online showing timing chain alignment?

Instructions i pulled from another post
The timing chain should have four plated links on its front surface. Two of them are next to each other and the other two are not.
When the crankshaft is at TDC, one of the plated links should be right at the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket (about 4 o'clock). The two links that are together should be on either side of the left (front) camshaft sprocket timing mark (12 o'clock). The third plated link should be right on top of the right (rear) camshaft sprocket (a hair past 12 o'clock).

markush 09-04-2010 09:15 PM

It's a 2002
sorry it was too late to edit original post

dcotter0579 09-05-2010 12:03 AM

The timing mark on that sprocket is small and round and should be exactly between the two teeth of the plated (timing) link. The timing mark on the front sprocket is a little triangle. It should be between the two plated links.

markush 09-05-2010 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 40426)
The timing mark on that sprocket is small and round...

Is that the hole i am seeing or should it be a raised dot?

TNtech 09-05-2010 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this one. Some upload dimension changes would be a great help. The timing process on a 2.7 is like a riddle until you've actually done one or two of them. The marks are set to where when you disassemble the chains, it's NOT actually TDC but off TDC so the valves don't get bent during assembly/diassembly. The cams will be in a certain position when all marks are aligned but when you release the tension, the cams will kick back off the marks. When you go back together the cams have to be rotated back in line with a turning tool (3/8 drive extension) then the sprocket bolts installed to the camshaft. The manual is not completely clear on how to do this process.

So when you install the cams in the head, they will be positioned at 12 o'clock OF THE HEAD as if it were lying flat. When they are aligned to the main chain they will be turned back to 12 o'clock OF THE ENGINE , then the two little 13MM head bolts are installed in the main cam sprocket Clear as mud yet? :eek: Hope this clarifies some things for you.

markush 09-05-2010 10:28 PM

Is there a reason i cannot see the attachment? I get the message i do not have permission!?

Could i ask you or someone else to please mail that image to me at markush2@yahoo.com Thanks for your help!

rick40 09-06-2010 12:40 AM

Which image are you talking about.And what problems are you facing.do share with us.

markush 09-06-2010 08:47 AM

The attached image in TNtechs post. I get the following message

markush, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. <LI itxtvisited="1">Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Can some one mail it to me please?

TNtech 09-06-2010 09:22 AM

I'll e-mail you a couple pages :D The attachements are too small to see anyway.

markush 09-06-2010 11:18 AM

Got the email, Thanks for all the help guys!