Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   alternator/power issue (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/alternator-power-issue-2223/)

fdfever 11-24-2006 05:05 AM

alternator/power issue

I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring sedan and was wondering if anyone would know if the alternator would cause the power system to kind of dim down when at the lights then go back to normal when the gas is pressed, this is only stated since it has gotten cold with the heater on, rear defrost, radio and lights on, but when its at the lights it starts to make a squeal and a whine noise.

Thanks guys.

Oddman 11-26-2006 11:10 PM

RE: alternator/power issue

The alternator AND the battery work hand in hand. The car should run off the battery, and the alternator keeps the battery at full charge. I would start by cleaning the battery terminals first, and see what happens. If nothing changes, get the battery checked by AutoZone, Advance Auto or Sears. But have them explain the results of the test to you, because they are in the business of selling auto parts.(you don't want to buy something you dont need)

CHRYSLER TECH 12-16-2006 12:02 AM

wrong the car runs of the alternator when the car is running and charges the battery. Get them also to do an alternator output test see how many amps are being put out. I would say the battery or dirty ground would be your best shot I have only replaced a hand full of Alternators in my life time on chryslers sence they are turned on and off by plusewith.

bobbaloo888 01-23-2008 08:00 PM

Oddman, what is "plusewith"? I have a '96 Jxi and this morning my battery light came on. I took my car to where I have it serviced, and they checked the alternator output and put a load across the battery, and both were good. The tech that tested the car said he thought that the alternator was controlled by the computer, but wasn't sure.
After the car was tested, the light went off.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-24-2008 08:38 AM

pulsewith is how much and fast the altnerator is turned on and off. say a pulsewith of 50 is on half of the time.
the alt field is controled by the pcm yes, what code was in the pcm for the batt light?

bobbaloo888 02-10-2008 10:14 AM

P1682, Alternator Charging System Too Low. The battery light comes on after driving about a mile. If I stop the car for a few minutes and restart the engine, the battery light doesn't come on. The charging system seems to be working, as there is no apparent dimming of lights at night, wipers and heater are working, etc. I talked to a guy at an auto electric repair garage, and he said the alternator is controlled by the PCM, and that the PCM is either reading something it doesn't like on the output side of the alternator, or the PCM itself might be going south. The car has 94k miles, and the alternator has never been changed.