Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Car keeps running out of power. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/car-keeps-running-out-power-29480/)

Jr Lub 06-10-2018 03:14 PM

Car keeps running out of power.

Guys, quick question. I have a Sebring convertible 2003. I've had the alternator refurbished and put in a new battery but after a couple of days the battery is drained. Can't seem to find anything wrong. U guys have any idea on this matter?

dcotter0579 06-10-2018 05:31 PM

What is the current draw when everything is off? You'll need an ammeter for that. If it's more than 0.050 amperes, you have a short somewhere. That small draw is from the clock and remote key receiver.

Jr Lub 06-10-2018 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 106263)
What is the current draw when everything is off? You'll need an ammeter for that. If it's more than 0.050 amperes, you have a short somewhere. That small draw is from the clock and remote key receiver.

Where exactly do I measure the current draw?

dcotter0579 06-10-2018 07:53 PM

You can disconnect the battery at the main ground located on the left spring tower under the hood. You'll have to disconnect the cable there, then jump across between the cable and its post to establish a connection for the computer. There will be a small surge of current that flows as the computer boots up. After a few seconds, connect the ammeter in parallel with the jumper wire between the cable and the post, then remove the jumper leaving the ammeter connected to the cable and post. That way you won't fry the ammeter from the surge. Be certain that all lights are off, doors closed, etc. At that point, you should read a current less than 50 milliamps (0.050 amps).
If it's more than that, pull fuses one at a time (both under the hood and in the fusebox at the left end of the dash until the reading drops. Figure out what is on the offending circuit and then you'll need to track down the short.
If there is no short and the current is appropriately low, the problem is either the battery or the charging circuit with the alternator. You've said that you replaced those components but it's possible that you got a bad one as a replacement.

Jr Lub 06-10-2018 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 106265)
You can disconnect the battery at the main ground located on the left spring tower under the hood. You'll have to disconnect the cable there, then jump across between the cable and its post to establish a connection for the computer. There will be a small surge of current that flows as the computer boots up. After a few seconds, connect the ammeter in parallel with the jumper wire between the cable and the post, then remove the jumper leaving the ammeter connected to the cable and post. That way you won't fry the ammeter from the surge. Be certain that all lights are off, doors closed, etc. At that point, you should read a current less than 50 milliamps (0.050 amps).
If it's more than that, pull fuses one at a time (both under the hood and in the fusebox at the left end of the dash until the reading drops. Figure out what is on the offending circuit and then you'll need to track down the short.
If there is no short and the current is appropriately low, the problem is either the battery or the charging circuit with the alternator. You've said that you replaced those components but it's possible that you got a bad one as a replacement.

Thanks so much. I'm gonna try it first thing in the morning.