Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   coolant issue... (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/coolant-issue-404/)

JXI101 06-23-2005 09:56 PM

coolant issue...

So, when we bought the car 8 years ago.. something was arong with it and like the coolant they used did something and it like corroded the coolant lines on the engine block or something... now even with my bi-annual radiator flush, my coolant always looks rusty or kinda rust colored.. not a good thing I'm guessing... Anyone know anything about this?

Emersive Audio Video 06-30-2005 03:04 AM

RE: coolant issue...

You know I had the same thing with my very first car. I had an 82 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Ok I had it for 4 days before I wreckd it, but lets no go there ok...

The coolent was ALWAYS BROWN. I flushed it problably 2 X and put all new coolent in it and yet its still turned rust brown. I dont know whats up with that and we never could figure it out. Granted I had the car for 4 days so maby it would have eventually cleared up. I doubt it though. I wanted to post this so you dont think your the only one with or had that problem. However in my sebring the coolent is GREEN.

2004LX 07-11-2005 09:27 PM

Do the newer Sebrings use DexCool?

BadStratRT 07-11-2005 09:35 PM

technically, NO DCX products use DexCool...GM owns the rights to it....the new sebrings use ehtylene glycol, but it newer DCX products do have some that use non-green coolant...just have a look in your rad some time...*when the engine is cool*...it is probably green..mine is, but im not certain of yours

redcali 07-12-2005 12:04 AM

brown **** in the fluid is from oxidization within the pipes, its not bad and all the residue should build up in your overflow tank/area. mine is a real nasty brown but still sits below 90 all the time... never had a problem with over heating at all.

how do you flush the tank? with water? because that could be part of the problem.

BadStratRT 07-12-2005 12:08 PM

if you go to a place that offers power flush and fill, that may help a bit...make sure it is FLUSH AND FILL...not drain and fill...you can do that at home. they should hook up a machine that sits about waist high..with severeal hoses and power lines..ive seen people pay for what they were told was a power flush, and it was only a drain, which leaves alot of the low laying dirt in the block.

2004LX 07-13-2005 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

technically, NO DCX products use DexCool...GM owns the rights to it....the new sebrings use ehtylene glycol, but it newer DCX products do have some that use non-green coolant...just have a look in your rad some time...*when the engine is cool*...it is probably green..mine is, but im not certain of yours
Ahhh, ok. I know of GM cars that use DexCool, interesting about the rights to it. I just know that when I looked under the hood the first time I could tell from the coolant reservoir that it was not green. I was concerned about DexCool because I heard some people saying that it eats away at gaskets and/or plastic. Whether that is true or not I'm not sure...I've also heard people saying good things about DexCool.