Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

water on the floor at the passenger side

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Question water on the floor at the passenger side

I have 2010 Sebring Limited 3.5L.
About 3 days ago we spotted a puddle of water on the floor at the rear right passenger side. We thought that it could of been a water bottle spill. Although it was quite a big amount for a bottle of water. I dried the carpet as much as possible.
The next day I spotted that the carpet is wet again. I've dried with the towels again.
Today we spotted a huge amount of water (about 1/2" deep puddle) on the carpet at the rear right side and front passenger side floor.
There was a heavy rain last night.
I thought could it be the rubber hoses that supposed to drain the rain water from the sunroof area got clogged with some derbies and the rain water makes its way in tho the cabin.
I've checked the sunroof. The rubber seal around the sliding glass is in tact. No any trace of leakage of the roof liner, all the liner inside is dry.
I have unbolted the front passenger seat and lifted up the carpet. Lots of water underneath the carpet itself, but I still can not find any trace of a water leak from above.
Does anyone have the diagram showing the exact location of the sunroof's drain hoses? I want to try blow compressed air through those hoses.

Last edited by mraskin; 03-27-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Location: T-County, Ohio. Good ol' farm country! Or at least what's left of it...

-Could possibly be a plugged drain tube from the blower motor housing. It sits behind the glove box where the cabin air filter goes. My Sebring hasn't done this, but my Wife's '05 Dodge Neon has before. You should be able to see the hose hanging down from under the car right in front of where the passenger's feet would be. It's maybe a 5/8" or so diameter rubber hose.

L8R,
Matt

Old 03-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
-Could possibly be a plugged drain tube from the blower motor housing. It sits behind the glove box where the cabin air filter goes. My Sebring hasn't done this, but my Wife's '05 Dodge Neon has before. You should be able to see the hose hanging down from under the car right in front of where the passenger's feet would be. It's maybe a 5/8" or so diameter rubber hose.

L8R,
Matt
I poured water on the windshield and spotted that water enters the cabin from A-pillar to the right from the glove compartment. Took apart the windshield cowl and found that the drain hole at the driver's side was clogged with some gunk. Cleaned that drain hole and checked the other two as well.
Tested with pouring water again.
And water still enters the cabin from A-pillar at the passenger side.
I can't find yet how the water makes its way in.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM

Did you clear the drain tube that comes out of the firewall in the engine compartment behind the engine? Look for a tube about the size of your finger that comes out of the firewall, turns downward and just ends. Water that enters the cowl in front of the windshield needs to come out that tube. Also, water that comes off the air conditioner evaporator coil comes out there. If it can't get out there, it will wind up inside the car through the heater/AC plenum.
Small leaves and crud can work their way down to that tube and clog it up. Often, you can clear it just by massaging it with your hand to break up the clot and the stuff will fall out.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Location: T-County, Ohio. Good ol' farm country! Or at least what's left of it...

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Did you clear the drain tube that comes out of the firewall in the engine compartment behind the engine? Look for a tube about the size of your finger that comes out of the firewall, turns downward and just ends. Water that enters the cowl in front of the windshield needs to come out that tube. Also, water that comes off the air conditioner evaporator coil comes out there. If it can't get out there, it will wind up inside the car through the heater/AC plenum.
Small leaves and crud can work their way down to that tube and clog it up. Often, you can clear it just by massaging it with your hand to break up the clot and the stuff will fall out.
That's the one I was talking about. If you've ever turned on your fan and heard a weird gurgling sound, that's the one that is plugged. First the sound, then the water comes out that built up in there.

L8R,
Matt

Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM

Today I lifted the car and checked the bottom portion of the drain pipe that comes all the way down from the middle of the cowl and adjacent to the firewall. At the very bottom it was clogged with pine needles and gunk.
After cleaning I've tested with the water on to the windshield, and again water leaked in to the cabin from the A-pillar.
Opened the sunroof and saw some water remains inside the drip tray.
I wanted to clean the sunroof drains but couldn't see at first the the drain holes from the top of the sunroof.
So I stripped the A-pillar, dismantled the sun-visor, pried a bit the roof liner and traced the rubber hose that comes from the sunroof down along the A-pillar. Disconnected the the upper end of the hose. Blown air through the hose. No any blockage. Poked with the wire the plastic bib of the hose (the one that comes out of the drip tray), it seemed to be clear of debris. The drain hole was very small and I didn't really see the dirt that actually clogged the hole.
Assembled all back. Tested with the water again and no more water leaking in to the cabin.
I don't really know what have I done, but it stopped leaking.

Last edited by mraskin; 03-29-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Did you lower the car before testing after cleaning out the cowl drain? If it was raised during the test there might have still been some water trapped in the plenum that drained out the tube once it was lowered.
Regardless, good work!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 PM

of course I lowered the car for each time I've tested with the water.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:42 AM

Check the seals at the door. Take a bottle of water or go to the car wash, let someone else sit down at the back and watching or somewhere not filtered water during the irrigation water door.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 PM

Do you got leaks into the trunk as well?