Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Did 98 sebring come with white glow guages or were mine added (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/did-98-sebring-come-white-glow-guages-were-mine-added-6797/)

workaholic2001 11-08-2008 10:00 AM

Did 98 sebring come with white glow guages or were mine added

Still trying to figure out my dash problem, but wanted to know if in 98 there were white face glow guages available or were these added before I got the car. 98 jxi limited convertible

bandaide 11-09-2008 07:57 AM

RE: Did 98 sebring come with white glow guages or were mine added

The 98 Limited did have electroluminescent gauges as standard. They were not used on the JXi or JX versions as standard. It is part of the Limited trim package. What problem are you having?

workaholic2001 11-09-2008 11:10 AM

from my post
I have replaced PCM, BCM, and have been looking for a solution to this problem. Sometimes the dash will work and then everything works, but then I shut it off and it goes back to the odometer reading zero and no guages, a/c is hot, top wont work, wipers wont work, dome wont work. I do not want to trash the car but I cannot use it this way. I am lost and need help I want to keep the car and fix it up a little and use it for weekends, but if i put the top down and go somewhere and shut it off it may not go back up. I have seen the dash repair info and have done that but mine are white faced and are not the same on the back side by the resisitors, my resistors are a little farther apart. I am lost guys, please help me. Also no power door locks when this happens

bandaide 11-09-2008 11:45 PM

TCM (Transmission Control Module) handles all the basic controls and monitoring for the transmission shifting. PCM or ECM (Powertrain Control Module or Engine Control Module) handles all the controls and monitoring for proper running of the engine and directly driven accessories like the alternator. BCM (Body Control Module) handles all of the exterior lighting, interior lighting, dash controls, instruments, windows, locks and both security modules.

Assuming that the car runs without problem and shifts without problem, then the issue is either in the CCD (Chrysler Computer Databus) link that allows each of these modules to exchange information as well as interact with other components like the CMTC (trip computer) or bad wiring.

Since you've got a Limited version, does it have the CMTC mounted to the right of the instrument cluster? If it does, does it read properly when the dash is acting up? Or does it display CCD when the dash is not working?

All of your instruments are fed from the BCM as it gather speed from the TCM; RPMS, coolant temp and oil pressure as well as other status lights from the PCM; it also pulls the fuel level, mileage and gear position from the various points monitored and passes it to the instrument cluster.

From your post I'm assuming you changed out at least one module. These modules must have identical information in them or there is a possibility of them confusing each other and causing a no-start condition. At a minimum the module being replaced must be able to control the same options and standard features that your car possesses. Then it should be matched to your vin number by the dealer. The older (96-97) modules weren't near as picky as the newer ones are, they can be changed out without much worry.

The standard black-faced gauges do have a bad habit of cracked solder joints. Your dash may have a similar issue. In addition, the electroluminescent dashes have a power supply that is mounted directly to the circuit board for the instrument cluster. It has also been known to act up either by burning out or having its connections compromised.

Hope this helps.

workaholic2001 11-10-2008 11:38 AM

no display next to the intrument panel. when its cold everything useually works then when is gets hot it all stops. the other bcm works but does the same as the factory one just not as much.

workaholic2001 11-10-2008 04:31 PM

By databus link do you mean wiring harness? I cannot spent 780 list on a new bcm but in examining my odometer, I am good with soldering, electronics. I see three diodes that are split on the back side of the odometer board. I took a 10x jewelers loop and went over the odometer board and fixed about twenty broken solder connections. I took apart both the bcm's and fixed alot of broken solder connections. I want to get rid of this car, I find myself very knowledgeable and able to fix alot of complicated things but this one is fustrating me. Just the lack of knowledge is killing me.

workaholic2001 11-14-2008 04:57 PM

Any Reasonable Offer I AM DONE

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH SEBRINGS AND ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS ARE JUNK ANY REASONABLE OFFER 98 SEBRING CONVERT