Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

bearing replacement for a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Default bearing replacement for a/c compressor

Hi guys,
Enybody knows what's the deal with the bearing replacement for a/c compressor for sebring 2002?
Guy Froma bodyshopsad I have to replace the bearings in the a/c couse they make noise.Is it pain to do that yourself and what do I need to get it started?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Default RE: bearing replacement for a/c compressor

Theoretically, it's possible to replace the A/C clutch without removing it from the vehicle, but you do have to unbolt the thing and then you need a number of special tools to pull the clutch off and put it back on. Even then, it could be bearings in the compressor and not the clutch.
An easier approach is probably to replace the whole compressor. Thay are available on the web if you do a little searching. Take a good look at your vehicle and your tool inventory to decide whether you are ready to take this project on. If you don't have proper A/C equipment, you still might be able to do most of the job yourself, then when you have it buttoned back up, take it to an A/C shop for evacuation and charging.
Figure on replacing the receiver/dryer and possibly the expansion valve while you're at it.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Default RE: bearing replacement for a/c compressor

I just went through this with my Durango. Take the accessory belt off and rotate the compressor pulley (not the compressor itself, just the pulley). You'll know pretty quickly if that's the problem. Autozone has free rental of all the tools you'll need to pull the clutch. The problem will be finding a new clutch to install. With my Durango, the clutch just wasn't available separately. I did manage to find a clutch bearing that could theoretically be pressed in, but it was about $100 just for the bearing and I didn't think it would be the most reliable repair.

In the end, I bought a new compressor on eBay for about $225. It's made in China and I may regret not getting a more expensive one, but it's working so far.

If you are a decent DIYer, you can easily buy the tools and parts you need to replace the compressor yourself for significantly less than it will cost you to have a shop replace it. It's actually pretty easy under these circumstances because you don't have to flush all of the other A/C components since the compressor itself didn't fail internally.