Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Gas cap message (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/gas-cap-message-7650/)

mjr46 02-24-2009 05:50 PM

Gas cap message

Hello all.......I got a 2007 sebring had po440( evap malfunction) and po456 small leak detected.....so troubleshot it per chrysler troubleshoot tree and purge was fine and smoke tested system and no leaks found and looked for tsb's and found one regarding evap vent filter being upgraded to one with holes so moisture can drain out and not contamintate the module mounted down on the canister, so replaced filter and module and cleared codes and appears fine no code returned yet, however car came in with message in the odometer cluster "GASCAP" SO PER owners manual it says push odo trip reset button to clear message...okay so I do that it clears, then once you shut the car off and cycle key back on a few sec later the message "Gascap" comes back on.......I searched AllData and owners manual and IATN and no info on this.....ANYONE got any ideas or what the strategy is for turning on message or turning it off????:confused:

irdaneel 02-24-2009 06:16 PM

Sounds like you may actually have a gas cap problem. Have you replaced it?

mjr46 02-24-2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by irdaneel (Post 25056)
Sounds like you may actually have a gas cap problem. Have you replaced it?

no not yet, if it were leaking then when I smoke tested it you'd think it would show??.....do you happen to know the strategy/ecm test criteria for when and why message is displayed..meaning how does cars system know to flip that on in the cluster??

dcotter0579 02-24-2009 06:41 PM

That message comes on when the gas tank will not hold pressure. If you gas up and forget to replace the gas cap, the system will obviously not hold pressure so the computer detects this. The most likely cause of the message is a loose gas cap. If the gas cap is defective to the point that the tank can't hold pressure, the message will also come on. The first thing to check is whether the cap is tight. If it's tight and the message appears, then get a new cap.

Could also be an evap vent control solenoid fault.

mjr46 02-24-2009 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 25059)
That message comes on when the gas tank will not hold pressure. If you gas up and forget to replace the gas cap, the system will obviously not hold pressure so the computer detects this. The most likely cause of the message is a loose gas cap. If the gas cap is defective to the point that the tank can't hold pressure, the message will also come on. The first thing to check is whether the cap is tight. If it's tight and the message appears, then get a new cap.

Could also be an evap vent control solenoid fault.

vehicle is not equiped with a vent vontrol selonoid per say but what chrysler calls a EL-IM WHICH WAS REPLACED per bullitien along with vent filter, and NO gas cap is not loose. after clearing message within 5-8 sec message reappears. after smoke testing I released cap and you could hear it hiss so it will hold pressure:) likewise it still may be a bad cap

irdaneel 02-25-2009 12:21 AM

Uneducated me, but if the system is measuring the pressure in the evap system, there must be some sort of pressure sensor somewhere. I've no idea where, but perhaps it's faulty?

A smoke test should have shown a bad cap, but as with all tests, the operator must do the test long enough, and thoroughly enough to get smoke to any leaks.

If you go with trial and error, a gas cap is a cheap place to start.

Sorry, only suggestions, no answers.

mjr46 02-25-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by irdaneel (Post 25072)
Uneducated me, but if the system is measuring the pressure in the evap system, there must be some sort of pressure sensor somewhere. I've no idea where, but perhaps it's faulty?

A smoke test should have shown a bad cap, but as with all tests, the operator must do the test long enough, and thoroughly enough to get smoke to any leaks.

If you go with trial and error, a gas cap is a cheap place to start.

Sorry, only suggestions, no answers.

smoke test was done for almost 5 min and entire system was looked over:)..thank you for your help:)

JosephWayne 02-10-2019 01:32 PM

Gas Cap Evap Code

Originally Posted by mjr46 (Post 25060)
vehicle is not equiped with a vent vontrol selonoid per say but what chrysler calls a EL-IM WHICH WAS REPLACED per bullitien along with vent filter, and NO gas cap is not loose. after clearing message within 5-8 sec message reappears. after smoke testing I released cap and you could hear it hiss so it will hold pressure:) likewise it still may be a bad cap

Okay look under the back bumper cover/fender on the side where you gas tank is. You will see a small black box with a plug and some hoses attached to it. Unplug this plug and clean it out with some ether/alcohol, put a dab of dielectric grease onto the plug, then reconnect it and ensure it’s plugged in properly. This is a common problem with Crystler. It’s more than likely just a bad connection.

mjr46 02-11-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JosephWayne (Post 109442)

Okay look under the back bumper cover/fender on the side where you gas tank is. You will see a small black box with a plug and some hoses attached to it. Unplug this plug and clean it out with some ether/alcohol, put a dab of dielectric grease onto the plug, then reconnect it and ensure it’s plugged in properly. This is a common problem with Crystler. It’s more than likely just a bad connection.

lol, thanks for the help......that car is long gone, 10 years ago, I don't remember what even became of it, but thanks for the reply, maybe it'll help someone even me in the future on another sebring :)