Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Headlight Issue... (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/headlight-issue-6751/)

gcap_rider 10-31-2008 12:26 PM

Headlight Issue...

Yeseterday evening while driving on the highway, my headlights went out. All that I had were the day time runners and parking lights. The low beams wouldn't come on and high beams will only work when you pull the indicator in and hold it. Everything else seems to work fine, tail lights, brake lights, interior lights, dash lights, stereo, fan, heater, ect.

I checked all fuses related to the lights and everything seemed to check out. I'm heading out to take another look right now and see what I do.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated since I'm in the middle of a trip on the other side of the country.

Thanks.

dcotter0579 10-31-2008 09:53 PM

RE: Headlight Issue...

The high beams should stay on if you push the lever away from yourself rather than pull it toward yourself. Pulling it toward yourself is supposed to be a flash-only operation.
It is possible for both bulbs to burn out at once, possibly from a little spike in voltage. I had that happen to me in my Concorde once. It's also possible that you might have been driving around as a padiddle (one bulb out) for a while and didn't realize it, especially if you mostly drive on well-lit streets.
So check the bulbs. They may just be burned out.

irdaneel 11-01-2008 02:19 AM

Best Guess? Fiddle with your actual headlamp switch in the cabin. If it blinks the lights at all when turned on or off, then it is likely the culprit. That test is better done at dark in the driveway so you can see even the most minor blink.

You should have some relay switches in your PDC for each the low, and the high circuits. Check to see if when you turn on the switch, it powers up the relay. If you have power to the relay but not after, the relay may be bad. Both circuits at once though is unusual. You probably won't find any power though, so it's off to tracing even more.

Oh, this is all assuming that you have checked the bulbs as previously suggested. Also it's wet weather and you may have a leak in the reflector casing. That blows them.

Good luck.

gcap_rider 11-05-2008 09:58 AM

Thanks for the responses.

After I had posted the first time, I took the actual headlight/wiper switch assembly out and ordered up a new one. Problem solved. I'm glad that it was as minor as it was and not something else as this was a relatively easy, somewhat cheap fix.

dcotter0579 11-05-2008 10:27 AM

Thanks for the final report. It's always helpful to hear what actually fixed the problem.