Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   headlights not working as expected (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/headlights-not-working-expected-6674/)

sl00py99 10-18-2008 04:33 PM

headlights not working as expected

Maybe this is normal, but with the engine running and trans in park in daylight, low beams come on with wipers turned on, but high beams do not come on. I need to know if this is normal. I would guess there is a daylight sensor which tells the computer not to turn on the headlight relays except under certain conditions. I just replaced both of the dual-element headlight lamps. Thanks for whatever help you can give![&:]

bandaide 10-19-2008 04:25 PM

RE: headlights not working as expected

That's a odd combination of events for a Sebring. Of course my experience is primarily with the convertible. Here's what I know.

There is no direct connection between low beams and the windshield wipers. They work independently in normal situations.

US Sebrings have standard low beams that are activated by a rotating knob on the turn signal stalk. To go to high beams you must move the stalk towards you and release. Doing this a second time will cause the lights to return to low beam. If the Sebring is equipped with fog lamps, they can be illuminated only in the low beam position by pulling the end of the stalk directly away from the steering column while the lamp switch is in the full on position. The fog lamps will not light while the lamp selector is in the off position or the "parking" light position. If the high beams have been selected while the fog lamps are off, then activating the fog lamps will do nothing even though the knob will move into the fog lamp on position until the low beams are selected.

Some US Sebrings and all Canadian Sebrings have a DRL (Daytime Running Light) module that is piggybacked on the BCM (Body Control Module is the main lighting controller). When it is in place, all of the above is still correct but the change is the DRL module activates the high beam elements at 50% power to make them Daytime Running Lights. When normal lighting is chosen, the DRL's go out in favor of the regular lighting choices. If the emergency brake lever is pulled on, the DRL's are turned off with the ignition key in the run position. If the emergency brake lever is released, the DRL's are turned on when the ignition key is in the run position.

irdaneel 10-19-2008 11:05 PM

I take it that you haven't owned this car since it was new and have already checked any owner's manual you have.

A thought... In California it is now required that if your wipers are on, so must be your lights. It is possible that someone has added a circuit to do so. Check around for some after market stuff under the hood. Pay particular attention to the low beam relay and the wiper relay for wiring changes or additions.

dcotter0579 10-20-2008 02:46 PM

Some Chrysler vehicles have a programmable feature that turns headlights on automatically with wipers. It is part of a package that includes automatic headlights. The dealer can turn the feature off for you if you don't want it.

sl00py99 10-20-2008 07:16 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Again, my low beams seem to function fine. I guess it is time to break out the digital meter and a schematic and go to it. If I don't make a determination on the cause of the problem pretty soon, I guess it is a trip to the dealership. I would guess that only they can diagnose problems with those control modules. If anyone has a schematic or other electrical-related docs for a 2004 Sebring LX, I would really appreciate a copy. My e-mail is crane.technician@gmail.com. A .pdf or whatever you have would be great.

dcotter0579 10-21-2008 09:56 AM

You can get the electrical schematics in a Service Manual. They show up on eBay every once in a while, so keep your eye peeled. You want the Service Manual, not the diagnostic manuals for that bit of information. The diagnostic manuals are good too, but they don't show the wiring diagrams. You didn't specify your model. If it's a coupe, it's a different vehicle altogether, and there's a different set of service manuals, so get the right book.
BTW, the high beams have their own fuses, both left and right. Have you checked them?

irdaneel 10-22-2008 07:03 PM

Autozone.com has some number of wiring diagrams available through their site.