Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

New member introduction with questions and photos

Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Default New member introduction with questions and photos

Greetings. Last week my 90 year old mother moved into a retirement home and gave me her 2002 Sebring Limited convertible, white with dark blue interior and top, in very nice condition with 85000 miles on it.

First, a little about myself. I am 70 years old and have played with collector cars since I bought my first Model T Ford in 1962.

Currently we have a 1936 Packard convertible sedan, 1974 Pantera, 1992 Corvette coupe, 2000 BMW M roadster and a 2002 Corvette Z06. I generally do all my own maintenance unless it requires special equipment or knowledge above my skill level.

For the past 25 years I have done upholstery on collector cars, doing many cars from a 1903 Thomas touring to a 1972 BMW with custom interior. I have also painted a few cars for customers, mostly 1930s Packards, and have done a couple of complete restorations for customers. I am now retired and enjoying it completely.

Since getting the Sebring last week I have bought the 5 volume set of factory service manuals for the 2002 convertible. I have replaced the air filter and changed the oil and filter. I washed it thoroughly with soap and water and then waterproofed the top. I have sanded the hood with 3000 grit sandpaper as it had lots of small scratches, and buffed the car 3 times using a random orbital sander and Griot's Garage polishes.

I plan on changing the brake fluid as I do not think it has been changed for many years.

I also want to change the coolant for the same reason. According to the service manual the drain is on the right side back of the radiator. When I go under the car I can not even see the radiator. There are some plastic panels under there but I think the radiator sits too far forward in the car for getting any access with the plastic panels removed. Can someone give me some hints. I took a few photos under the car on the passenger side, looking towards the unseen radiator. Here is one.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 PM

OK. You want to come over & buff up my Sebring too?

Remove the big panel there to get better access to your radiator drain. If you look from above, you will see how that is blocking your view down to the ground.

If you have the 2.7L engine - you will soon discover that it is a very cramped engine compartment.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM

Yes, I would be willing to buff your Sebring. All I require is travel expenses, food, lodging, and $ 30.00 per hour while I am buffing. I will supply the buffing materials at no extra charge. Let me know when you want me to come and do it.
I have removed the large plastic panel on the right hand side. That actually let me look and see part of the radiator side tank. Do I need to remove the large metal piece that goes from side to side of the car. It is shown on the bottom left of the photo.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 PM

If you can pull off the radiator hose, it's a better way to get the radiator drained. The trouble with the draincock is that it's all plastic and if you break it, you'll be replacing the entire radiator.
Getting the hose off ain't easy either.
I had to replace my radiator (01 vert) a couple of years ago and seem to remember getting the fans out before getting that hose off.
There might be a helpful pointer over on the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club website. I seem to remember somebody over there fabricating a tool by cutting a slot in a plastic bottle cap to use to help get a grip on the draincock.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 PM

I finally located the draincock. I think I will try and remove the fans and then remove the lower radiator hose. I do not need to break any older plastic parts. Now all I need to do is locate the bleeder valve I am supposed to open and locate the heater hose I am supposed to remove to complete the drain.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM

DON'T TOUCH THAT BLEEDER VALVE!!!!!!!!
It sits in a plastic housing and will spin in the plastic (causing a leak) if you try to turn it. The system will bleed itself after a few warm- up and cool-down cycles. If you search the forum here you will find much discussion about the coolant outlet manifold as the part is called. If it's already leaking, you'll need to replace it. Find out how to do so in your search.