Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   How to Re-Install 6 disc changer for a '99 sebring convertible (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/how-re-install-6-disc-changer-99-sebring-convertible-6512/)

kaycan 09-23-2008 08:20 PM

How to Re-Install 6 disc changer for a '99 sebring convertible

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. And I am trying to reinstall the factory CD player (Infinity Sound - 6 disc changer). Here is a a little background:

I originally took out the CD changer out because one of the CDs got stuck in the magazine while still in the changer. So I took the cover off the CD player and pryed thru a few things and and was able to remove the changer and get the CD out without any problems.

BUT, the issue I am having is re-stalling the CD player. I know what I need to do (reconnect the flat flex cable to the back of the CD player and to a connector jack wayyyyy in the back of CD holder that is attached to the car {i am not well versed in electronic tech terms so I hope what I am describing is understands what I am referring to, anywho...}

My issue is that the space is tight for me to connect. I think I need to take the dashboard off to get to connector properly.

I took my car into 2 car audio installation stores today, but neither of the stores wanted to touch it. They claim they "couldn't do it". THE Liars!!! How are you a car stereo installer and you cant re-install a simple CD player and I am giving you the wire and the CD player? But I believe that they just wanted me to buy a new stereo kit so they can make more money! Stupids! But I digress!

My next solution was to see if I can find a cable/wire that was much longer so I would have the room to connect both ends and slide the CD player back in. But I cant seem to find the exact same cable (plus I really dont know what I am looking for other than the numbers and letters on the cable itself)

I have surrendered that I need to take the dashboard out and do it the right way. I was trying not to do that, but it seems that it has come to it.

SO! My questions are:

1. How to take the dashboard out of a 99 Sebring Convertible.
a. Is it necessary to take the whole dashboard out or is the stereo instrument panel a separate
compartment that can be taken by itself.
b. What tools will I need to get it off.
c. Any tips and techniques.

2. Going back to my original solution (or bright idea). Where can I buy a longer cable/wire that would fit
my CD player. I am not sure of the dimensions, but it is flat wire that is about 3 to 3.5 inches long and has
11 positions or pins. so I am looking for a wire that is at leat 5 inches, preferable 6 to be on the safe side.

P.S.: I am going on a road trip this coming weekend and was hoping to have my CD player working again, because being on the road without it is painful as the radio stations go in and out in the boonies.

Thanks so much for the help in advance.

KC

dcotter0579 09-23-2008 09:23 PM

RE: How to Re-Install 6 disc changer for a '99 sebring convertible

You should be able to remove and replace the radio by pulling off the center bezel (the trim piece immediately surrounding the radio and heater controls- just grab it and pull). If one of the cables seems too short, it may be stuck on something. Look carefully and see if it's caught on or around something. It reallyshould belong enough to feed out far enough to make the connection with the radio out of the dash.
If you can't pull the bezel off with your fingers, get a plastic trim removal tool. You can find them at Harbor Freight. A whole set might cost you about 5 bucks.
Itshould not benecessary to take the dashboard apart other than removal of that center bezel.