Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   leak (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/leak-6434/)

seawind3000 09-10-2008 03:15 PM

leak

I have a 01 conv and today I noticed water on the floor of the back seat. I now have the front and back seats removed and the carpet pulled up to let it dry. My question is how does the water coming off the back of the ragtop leave the car?? Is there a drain hole that may have pluged?

Mike

Al B 09-10-2008 05:59 PM

RE: leak

look in the trunk, under the trim panels on the 1/4's. There should be a drain hose that runs back behind the wheelhouse. You can then trace it back to the point of entry, but I would suspect that the point of entry may be hard to get at. I would also suspect the area of the 1/4 window as well. There will be a drain from under the window to carry the water away as well. As you have the carpet out, look for "drip marks" or "water marks" (water trace marks) where the water has traveled in the dirt on the floor of thebody. These marks arehelpful in locating the problem area. I would also suggest taking out the 1/4 trim panel to find the leak if the drains are not plugged, and also looking for water trace marks.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

seawind3000 09-11-2008 04:11 PM

Great info... I have the 1/4s out as well as the carpet. I'll look over all these areas then do a rain test to see where the water is entering the car.

Thanks, Mike

bandaide 09-13-2008 07:24 AM

There are also some drain holes, slots really, in the seams of the rocker panels. These are small enough to clog if there is sufficient debris. Also check the seal around the rear window glass. The adhesives used there will sometimes give up and allow water into the shelf where the top folds when it's down.

As far as the major drain to remove the water from the base of the top where it joins the body, there is an internal metal "gutter" that follows the curve at the base of the top. Its highest point is approximately the center of the body and it falls away from there down to the tops of the wheel wells. There it joins a ridge on the top of the wheel well and directs the water into the rocker panel in front of the wheel wells. This "gutter" is approximately 3/4 to 1 inch wide and usually isn't a clogging problem. The holes in the rocker panels on the other hand are where many have issues.

seawind3000 09-13-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the info. The outlets on the rocker panels are covered by a rubber flap, the hole is about 2" by 1", they worked fine after my rain test ( bucket of water) There are two "rust" trails from the trunk floor to the back seat pan via a small gap under a small beam just behind the seat pan. I pluged the gap and sprayed it with "rock-guard" to water proof it. The carpet in the trunk is damp after it rains so I think after a very heavy rain, there was enough water to run back to the seat pan and the floor pan. Now it should stay in the trunk where I might put a "drain hole". When I first bought the car and cleaned I did notice about 3" of water in the trunk in the spare tire well, so I'm going to have to put a small person in there and see if and where it leaks. After I put all the seats, carpet and panels back together, the starter shorted and blew fuses so now there is a new starter going in on monday.

Mike

bandaide 09-13-2008 08:56 PM

Ouch, but at least the starter didn't try to fake you out or leave you stranded. ;)

Common areas for leaks in the trunk have been through the taillights as well. If you want to take a look at the drain "gutter" under the rear window, pull the pins along the back of the top well and move the lining out of your way. The gutter and the tack strip for the top are right there in sight. If you haven't looked here, there may be some debris causing a blockage that diverts the water over the lip and lets it leak down through the top well insulation to the trunk.