Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   misfire 2.5L sebring conv. JXI (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/misfire-2-5l-sebring-conv-jxi-9116/)

cfreed 08-28-2009 11:13 AM

misfire 2.5L sebring conv. JXI

97 sebring convertible 2.5l jxi random misfire p0300 also cyl.5 and misfire cyl.6 New cap, rotor, plugs, wire, and distrbutor installed. Has rough idle and seems like it is only running on 5 Cylinders. Does anyone have any ideas to try and solve the problem.

dcotter0579 08-28-2009 09:22 PM

[QUOTE New cap, rotor, plugs, wire, and distrbutor installed. QUOTE] Sounds like you have eliminated a bad spark as a source of the problem. This would point to a bad injector as a possibility. Might want to check compression as well.

leeb 09-02-2009 11:51 PM

Also, ensure that your fuel pressure is correct.:)

cjhstang 09-10-2009 12:47 AM

I'm having a very very similar problem with my mom's car. replaced same as above but has misfire on cylinder 5.
i've seen something about these cars being known for their ignition coils going bad?? I thought these had rotors?

aifam55 09-18-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cfreed (Post 30119)
97 sebring convertible 2.5l jxi random misfire p0300 also cyl.5 and misfire cyl.6 New cap, rotor, plugs, wire, and distrbutor installed. Has rough idle and seems like it is only running on 5 Cylinders. Does anyone have any ideas to try and solve the problem.

I just went through a lot of troubleshooting before I found out the cause of my problem,,not too dissimilar. I did tried 2 new distributors, 2 crank sensors, both O2 sensores, 2 sets of wires, 3 sets of plugs, egr, IAT, MAP and PCM. Like all of it. Fuel pump was pretty recent and timing belt 2 years ago. It turned out it jumped 1 tooth on the valve timing (original tension and sprockets and redlined at lot, 233,000 miles). It would run good sometimes butit did do a P0303 code sometimes,,so I changed that injector. Like I said turned out to be valve timing. You can check the right cam mark and the crank mark easy (when you take off the drive belts and balancer). You might see it off. If not the other cam cover is a pain to take off,,you need to check also, maybe. It took a while to figure this out since this car usually did not throw a code and ran smooth at times ,,,also ran different everytime I changed out another ignition component as the computer tried to adjust for the valve timing being off slightly. The other stuff I researched was these cars don't usually like some after market plugs or crank sensors. Be careful of aftermarket parts as some can create havoc with the computer.

ModdedLHS_2011 05-06-2011 06:20 AM

maybe a fuel injector is bad and is staying open or closed causing it to misfire