Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   New Sebring Owner with Misfire (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/new-sebring-owner-misfire-29980/)

mrls430 10-10-2018 10:02 AM

New Sebring Owner with Misfire

Good morning to all,

I came across this forum while doing research on my new Sebring. I am happy to be here. I was recently given a 2004 Sebring Limited from a family member who kept it at his second home in FL. As a result of little use, the car only has 15,000 miles on it. Virtually looks new inside and out. I was having a blast with it. First convertible and fun car to drive.

The problem started this morning. I started up the car and the car started shaking coming from the engine but could be felt throughout whole car like a misfire. Check engine light started blinking. Moved car out of garage and shut off. Left it a couple hours and started again no engine light blinking and shaking less. Decided to hook scanner up to it and I get one code: OBD2 P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire.

I do not know much about service history. Had oil change about 400 miles ago. It has been maintained and started regularly by property manager prior to ownership. I do not think spark plugs were ever changed but it is possible.

Where would you start with regard to fixing issue? Should I pull out lug and run to autoparts store to get a new one and try that hoping its just a fouled plug? Any help and advice is appreciated.

I have moderate knowledge of cars. With help of youtube I will be installing new window regulator unit for driver rear window that is having trouble going up. I can handle some but I don't have big scanning tools or compression testers or
anything like that.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

mrls430 10-10-2018 10:08 AM

I should also add that I have the 2.7 engine. Thanks

mrls430 10-10-2018 11:08 AM

Just wanted to provide an update. Went back out to the car and decided to pull the plugs and coil on cylinder 4 and 6. I think they are original. A little dirty and burnt looking so I think I will eventually change all the plugs. I cleaned both plugs up with a little sandpaper and decided to switch both the plug and coils for 4 and 6 to see if the misfire would change from 6 to 4 hoping it was bad plugs or ignition coil. Swapped them and then started up the car. Connected scanner. I did NOT clear the P0306 code after reading it prior. This time scanner shows absolutely no codes at all. Perhaps the plug was just fouled up and a little sandpaper did the trick?? could it really be that easy??

BiliTheAxe 10-10-2018 04:58 PM

Yeah, sometimes it is that easy.
it could also have been a dirty connection at the coils wiring.
Unplugging and plugging it back in could have cleaned the connection up enough for it to work properly.

dcotter0579 10-10-2018 06:45 PM

Just a little comment here. The plugs in that car were probably platinum plugs. Sanding them with sandpaper probably removed some/all of the platinum plating. They'll still work but may not last as long. The spec for platinum plugs is 100,000 miles. Since these have, at most 15,000 miles on them, you'll probably get lots of miles before needing to replace them. Enjoy your new toy!

mrls430 10-10-2018 08:46 PM

Thanks to all. I didn't think about the sanding part I was just happy it has been cured for a while. Put a new rear driver window regulator and motor in today as well. By far easiest door panel to remove and straight forward process. In and out in 45 mins I'm very impressed with the ease of serviceability so far. Hope to keep it running for years to come.

08v627nightmare 08-27-2020 11:41 AM

Confused

Thanks for all who joined the thread, but I’m not following how sanding will fix my problem when I have a gap issue, I think. NGK plug(1st plug gapped @ .04) clears a misfire over OE CHAMPION (2nd plug gapped @ .05).
So now I have 5 CHAMPION plugs and 1 NGK and no misfire.

I was told: by mechanic
compression is a little low in cylinder 2

and I initially lost the misfire because I put the specific coolant in instead of just water having the NGKs in there.

and I switched to OE plugs so I could replace slightly damaged NGK plugs from my trials and errors and I wanted to bring OE parts back to car

08v627nightmare 08-27-2020 11:44 AM

Sorry thought I was in my thread