Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Newbie Questions (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/newbie-questions-2747/)

69roadrunner 03-16-2007 07:05 PM

Newbie Questions

I just purchased a 2000 Sebring JXi Convertible w/ the 2.5L... I love it! But, I want to make it better...

Simple stuff at first, like headlights...

Are there any options other than the OEM style? Like solid chrome, or better yet, projectors?

And gauges? White faced perhaps?

There is all sorts of aftermarket goodies for the coupes and sedans, how much, if any, will interchange?

Oh, and to clear something up, is the 2.5L DOHC or SOHC? It appears to be DOHC and looks like a small 3.5, but I've been told it's SOHC... I'd like to know...

Also, what are the factory performance specs for that engine and year?

Thanks. guys!

CHRYSLER TECH 03-16-2007 11:01 PM

RE: Newbie Questions

2.5L ENGINE
DESCRIPTION The 2.5 Liter (152 cu. in.) 60° V-6 engine is a single overhead camshaft (per bank) with four valves per cylinder design
2.5L V-6 Engine The engine does not have provisions for a free wheeling valve train. The firing order is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6. The cylinders are numbered from the front of the engine to the rear. The front cylinder bank is numbered 2, 4, and 6. The rear cylinder bank is numbered 1, 3, and 5.dont have a performance spec that can be looked up online

69roadrunner 03-17-2007 04:12 AM

Umm, ok, if it has a single cam on each side, and it is of a V design, and has two sides, doesn't that make it a DOHC?

I have a 95 Intrepid with the 3.5L... It also has a single cam over each bank. It is referred to as DOHC...

Just curious.

Also, what do you mean by "the engine does not have provisions for a free wheeling valve train?"

silver01v6 03-17-2007 11:13 AM

no, for it to be a DOHC motor you would need to have two cams in EACH head.

CHRYSLER TECH 03-17-2007 02:46 PM

3.5 has never been a DOHC. A non free wheeling engine is where if something happened aka a timing belt broke or something along that line it would bend valves and cause all kinda damage. A free wheeling engine will just spin becasue there is enough clearence between the valves and pistons that it wont hurt anything if something breaks. The older 3.5 is free wheeling

69roadrunner 03-20-2007 06:30 PM

could swore the window sticker on that 3.5 said DOHC - oh well... no matter...

Will those 3.5s fit into the Sebrings? We've got one that's been warmed up a little to around 240 - 250 horses... it would turn this sebring into a nice sleeper...

CHRYSLER TECH 03-20-2007 10:23 PM

no comment I am not into making changes on factory systems