Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Newbie working on an 03 sebring convertible needs help (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/newbie-working-03-sebring-convertible-needs-help-12363/)

svttour 09-09-2010 10:20 PM

Newbie working on an 03 sebring convertible needs help

Hello everyone. I registered to this forum to ask your advice over the problem I am having with a customer's 2003 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.7L

I had to swap the engine due to a seize. New/used engine went in fine. Only difference I saw in the engines were the knock sensors and plugs were different. Anyways I have 2 issues:

1: No spark, Check engine light and all lights illuminate fine upon start, car cranks fine and I am getting fuel but I have no power going to the coils. Grounds are good all plugs are good. Crank and cam sensors were swapped over from the old motor and the problem is still there. I need to know what to check in order to get power to the coils.

2: No fuel going to cyl 4. New/used motor had black injectors and old motor had green injectors. Removed Upper manifold to check for fuel pressure and all Cylinders were receiving fuel except for cyl 4. Thought it was a clogged injectors so I changed all 6 to the green ones from the old motor. Same result all cylinder getting fuel except for #4.

Harness was from the old motor. Not sure what I need to be looking for on this. I greatly appreciate all suggestions.

BTW I am a Ford Contour SVT enthusiats hence the screen name. I currently own 4 SVT contours including 2 with 3L taurus engine swaps and one with a custom built turbo kit. :)

dcotter0579 09-10-2010 01:48 PM

Power to the coils comes through the auto shut down relay, and should be present at all times that the engine is on. The ground for the coils comes through the computer and breaks when the computer wants the coil to fire the plug. Collapsing the field in the primary side of the coil induces the spark current in the secondary side. If you have no power to the coils at all, trace backwards towards the ASD relay to look for the problem.

CHRYSLER TECH 09-10-2010 03:46 PM

I bet u replace the engine with a wrong cam gear in it did u check to make sure what engine year U put in?

svttour 09-11-2010 10:41 AM

old engine was built 4/03 new engine was built 12/03

svttour 09-11-2010 10:42 AM

Both engines came from a VIN R vehicle.

svttour 09-11-2010 11:05 PM

Removed front valve cover on both motors today and the intake pulley size is the same.

TNtech 09-12-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by svttour (Post 40664)
Removed front valve cover on both motors today and the intake pulley size is the same.

Pulley size has nothing to do with it.

OK, what Chrysler Tech was trying to tell you.....there are 2 different types of systems NGC (new generation controller) and SBEC (non-ngc) Both were in existence in 2003 to 2004. Those were the transition years. In 2005 all are strictly NGC. Then after NGC comes CAN BUS, but that's a totally different subject.

The pickups on the cam gear on the driver's side AND the flexplate will be slotted different depending on what system you have. If they are not right for the controller you have then your cam/crank will go totally "ape-****". This mean your firing and injecting will be doing the same thing.

If you compare new and old cam gears and find that the slots are not the same, then you have a big problem on your hands. The spacing will be a bit diferent and so will the size of the slots. You will have to use the old flexplate and the old cam gear. Not to mention ALL of the sensors and almost all of the actuators.

Advice>>>> This is something you will have to watch for very closely in the future also when buying a reman, because it can be built with either one.

svttour 09-13-2010 08:47 AM

Thanks for the advice I will check the spacing.

The motor I put in has 99k miles on it its not a reman. I reffered to it as being new/used because its the one I was installing.

I really hope thats not the issue.

svttour 09-23-2010 07:39 AM

UPDATE: Im getting sprk in cylinders 2, 3 if you go off of the firing order for these cars. Thats the only cylinders that are firing off.

TNtech 09-23-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by svttour (Post 41107)
UPDATE: Im getting sprk in cylinders 2, 3 if you go off of the firing order for these cars. Thats the only cylinders that are firing off.

Look, you need to face the music. I've seen the whole NGC in a NON-NGC thing happen to many good techs. It's just life as a tech bro. Take your medicine and get that thing gone. Move on to the next lesson..... ;)