Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   P0455 and P1684 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/p0455-p1684-11987/)

psandeep 07-27-2010 02:51 PM

P0455 and P1684

Hi,
I have a 2002 Sebring 4 door currently running 134K (bought about a month back from a dealer). The engine warning lights came on yesterday with the codes P1684 and P0455 (checked by turning the key on thrice and looking at the odometer). I understand that the latter one tells about a fuel vapour problem. Could be, because I checked the gas lid and I had accidentally left the lid not fully tightened after filling up gas the day before.
But what does P1684 mean? And if the gas lid was the reason for P0455, when would the warning light go off (now that I have tightened the gas lid) ??
It would be great it somebody could give me some help with these questions.

Thanks in advance.

dcotter0579 07-28-2010 11:18 AM

Relax. The 1684 simply means that sometime in the last 50 starts, the battery was disconnected. Since you had some work done at the dealership, this is to be expected. It will go away as will the one related to the gas cap.

xdenilliex 03-05-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 39138)
Relax. The 1684 simply means that sometime in the last 50 starts, the battery was disconnected. Since you had some work done at the dealership, this is to be expected. It will go away as will the one related to the gas cap.

Could 1684 pop up if the battery is low as well we disconnected it and touched them as i read earlier but code is still there and car dont want to start unless we charge it to our other car battery so could it be that it just needs a new battery?

dcotter0579 03-05-2012 10:12 PM

According to your post, you "disconnected" the battery. That's why the code is there. And yes, if you can't start the car without jumping from another car you probably need a new battery. After 50 starts with the new battery connected, the code will be gone.

xdenilliex 03-06-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 59511)
According to your post, you "disconnected" the battery. That's why the code is there. And yes, if you can't start the car without jumping from another car you probably need a new battery. After 50 starts with the new battery connected, the code will be gone.

I didnt disconnect the battery till i seen the code and read something on it so i did it again and yeah thinking it is just the battery but now i have the code p 1685 and i read that it is the key but i just had this key made at dealership last year and it shouldnt be that being they shouldve done it the right way to begin with

dcotter0579 03-06-2012 09:18 AM

If the SKIM key is bad, the problem won't be cured by jump-starting the car from another battery. A SKIM key problem will usually allow the car to start but then it will shut down after 2 seconds.

Have your battery tested. If it's bad, replace it. A low battery can cause the computer to do weird things.

SKIM key problems can also be triggered by something like a speed pass on your key ring or a large number of keys on the ring which confuses the receiver.

xdenilliex 03-06-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 59526)
If the SKIM key is bad, the problem won't be cured by jump-starting the car from another battery. A SKIM key problem will usually allow the car to start but then it will shut down after 2 seconds.

Have your battery tested. If it's bad, replace it. A low battery can cause the computer to do weird things.

SKIM key problems can also be triggered by something like a speed pass on your key ring or a large number of keys on the ring which confuses the receiver.

ok took key off by itself and still shows up will have to try battery when my fiance gets home see if he has one that will fit the car! Here is another question if the computer is going bad and not the key would it show p 1685 as well for computer or is that just for the key?

dcotter0579 03-07-2012 09:30 PM

Like I said, a low battery can cause the computer to do weird things. Start with the cheap things. The computer is not cheap and will be the last thing to replace, and only if nothing else works. Before you even consider replacing the computer you will want to get the car hooked up to proper diagnostic equipment to find out what is going wrong.

xdenilliex 03-08-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 59595)
Like I said, a low battery can cause the computer to do weird things. Start with the cheap things. The computer is not cheap and will be the last thing to replace, and only if nothing else works. Before you even consider replacing the computer you will want to get the car hooked up to proper diagnostic equipment to find out what is going wrong.

ok so i got all the codes taken care of went and got care inspected today and replaced the battery with new one all codes went away but fan wasnt working so got relay switch changed and now that works but since they replaced that now the codes p 1388 p 0302 p 1684 p 1685 are coming up again i know 302 is crank sensor 1684 is nothing to worry about and 1685 is something with key and we thought maybe low battery was cause and when we replaced that last nite with new one it went away but i dont know what 1388 is and if these could be coming up cause they did work on it today and maybe battery should be undone and redone again to reset it could you tell me what 1388 is please and what would possibly be the reason for all these codes to come on again? we just replaced the crank sensor not a year ago but warrenty is already out for milage on it but hope thats not it and not the computer cause i heard the computer is about 900 something and know the crank sensor is 300 something i just want to get it running to try and sell it if i knew they where going to be this big of a headache i wouldnt have bought one to begin with........lol but any help or info is better than nothing for sure