Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   PCM? seeking help (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/pcm-seeking-help-29025/)

deanbolean 02-23-2018 08:32 PM

PCM? seeking help

Ok so obviously I have been hit with the common not charging issue! YAY
Here is what I have done so far to test the system if someone could help me with any other suggestions...
or if anyone that has purchased a pre programmed pcm ( if that is what you fine folks think is the problem) where you purchased, and if there were other things you had to do after the new one is installed.
I.E. security system problems... keys, sentry system issues, etc

2006 Chrysler Sebring, sedan, 2.4l base model, factory alarm/keyless entry
This issue originally came to be one morning, CEL, oil light, battery light. after work on the short ride home became sluggish on take off.
The car will start and run if jumped off, and only reads battery when testing the alt power to chassis ground, and of course dies eventually after removed from jumper car.

The only thing that I haven't FOR sure tested is the resistance of the alt pigtail ground...
if anyone can point me in the direction of the right plug and pin out of the plug at the ecm I would like to start there before tearing into the wiring harness. I would almost just buy the replacement ecm ( given that is the suggested issue, as im almost positive should be) before tearing into the wiring harness ( it is an ohio car everything is SO brittle)

So far:
-CEL reads bank 1 o2 sensor
-Battery tested good ( when it died and was having it tested CCA were only 225-250, after full charge tested good at 590 vs an original 650)
-alt tested good
-replaced alt just in case with reman
-all fuses show no resistance
-relays are clicking
- CEL turns off when harness is removed from alternator while running
-fuse able link from alt good
-no resistance from alt power cable to starter, starter to pos( at fuse box), ground is good
-battery terminals, starter contacts have been scrubbed clean ( wire brushed) to ensure good contacts
-tested the alt pigtail for power , positive is good, ground to pcm .... reading 3.5-4 volts STRANGE
-ran a jumper from alt pigtail to ground car starts charging again
- ran test light to the alt pigtail neg, it is NOT showing the flash at all as it should... alternating grounding to keep from over charging/ burning out alt

So the fact that the alt harness is showing the 3-4 volts when tested, no alternating ground (no ground at all), and the frequency of pcm failure as I have learn... I see that as the issue, but I am not a mechanic :/...

NOW the other questions as I have asked is where is the most affordable/best reviewed ( by personal experience please haha) to obtain a preprogrammed PCM if theres no other suggestions... if this forum frowns upon non sponsored ads/suggestions please just PM me.
I have found them from a place in NC for around 120-150 ( CHEAPER than the reman ALT which make me VERY happy)
Will I also need to plan on a new key or any kind of adjustments to the security/sentery/SKID system... or from experience have you been able to just install plug it up and go?

I've already visted a pull-a-part yard got one out of a 2004 ( some say you can change from another car... other say no... some say it will work with other problems) but was stopped when checking out as the guy told me that the year model must be the same or it will not work... :(

Thanks so much in advance ladies and gentlemen... this is a new one for me, if it is just a bad computer it has really blown my mind for a week...
Sorry I know this is a repeating issue, but im playing hell getting the right answers... I know theres a search button, but I personally felt that offering the exact account of the situation would help instead of piecing together info from multiple posts/"answers"/etc

REBEL59 02-24-2018 05:11 AM

You seem to have done a lot of investigating, but you seem to have omitted testing the heart of the system. The 2.4 motor uses a clutched alternator pulley, not a solid pulley more commonly found on other motors. and the fact that if the alt. is the original,at 12 years old now, I would suspect it more than the PCMor TIPM. The 2.4 has been long noted for pulley problems in failing to engage , thus allowing the alternator to produce a charge.
By years of service mentioned how about the brushes and diodes inside the alternator?
MY suggestion would be to remove the alt. and have it completely tested.

deanbolean 02-24-2018 12:48 PM

Had the old one off and had a load test ran, came back good
currently running a reman that is working also...

lol I’ve done plenty of work over the years that wasn’t necessary, work 50- 60 hours a week now, there no time to waste. I’d rather troubleshoot than go by trial and error

dcotter0579 02-24-2018 04:43 PM

I had good luck replacing the PCM on my '01 convertible with the security key. All they needed was the VIN and odometer reading. It was completely plug and play. That was about 10 years ago and the car is still going strong (in the summer anyway - it stays parked when the weather is bad). I think I found the service on eBay.

CHRYSLER TECH 02-24-2018 09:48 PM

what did you use to test for the PCM ground pulse at the alt connector?
How did you test for the fuse link being any good?

deanbolean 02-25-2018 05:45 AM

Yes I checked resistance from fuse ink at alt to after it is soldered in.

and with having it off hit the connectors and small box with wire brush in case of bad connection.

deanbolean 02-25-2018 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by deanbolean (Post 104617)
Yes I checked resistance from fuse ink at alt to after it is soldered in.

and with having it off hit the connectors and small box with wire brush in case of bad connection.

sorry it’s early haha
for the pcm ground was a test light and chassis ground, voltage was a cheap meter (read up to 4 volts), I have more trouble getting a reading vs it showing voltage.
thats what leads me to believe pcm there’s no absolutely no reason to get very little voltage from the pcm ground.
i fully understand it could be a short the wire harness doesn’t much if any play in movement.

thanks again!

deanbolean 02-25-2018 09:41 PM

Send good vibes and crossed fingers my way ... inspected g103 ground... this will be much fun! :/

deanbolean 02-28-2018 01:16 AM

Want to point out not all alternator harness grounds are intermittent... mine was constant!

location g103 was garbage, will be going through all grounds soon to avoid future down time!

this particular 2006 Sebring has been down for almost 2 weeks... if only I had spliced into the alternator harness ground and ran a constant I would have never had to put in he work I was FINALLY able to make time to do!
I will say I’m happy it’s fixed, even though I only have 7 strands of hair I didn’t pull out!

CHRYSLER TECH 02-28-2018 08:16 AM

ok for the pcm ground was a test light and chassis ground,
is not how you check for a ground pulse. In order to make a complete circuit need power,ground and a path. To check that PCM ground pulse. Put the test light end on battery + then probe the ground wire.