Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   power steering problem, HELP!!! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/power-steering-problem-help-16410/)

04_sebring 12-18-2011 07:52 PM

power steering problem, HELP!!!

hey everyone, i need a little help i have a 04 sebring 2.7l sedan and my motor went bad. so i got another one from work and i took all my parts off the one motor and put them on the new motor. so i know everything was good. the problem is when i got the motor in i started the car and tried to drive it and the power steering is hard to turn, and every now and then you have a easy spot like it is working but then goes right back to being hard. any ideas on what this could be. any help would be great, thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 12-18-2011 08:11 PM

go back and take a look at your work first of all.

04_sebring 12-18-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 56919)
go back and take a look at your work first of all.

already did a couple of times, it has fluid, the belt is tight, i have no leaks. what else should i check

dcotter0579 12-18-2011 08:59 PM

There was a guy on here a couple of weeks ago whose harmonic balancer went bad, resulting in no charging for his alternator. I would think that if yours is failing, it might result in problems driving the power steering too. When yours is acting up, see if you can observe the belt movement. If it's jerky, that might be your problem.

04_sebring 12-18-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 56926)
There was a guy on here a couple of weeks ago whose harmonic balancer went bad, resulting in no charging for his alternator. I would think that if yours is failing, it might result in problems driving the power steering too. When yours is acting up, see if you can observe the belt movement. If it's jerky, that might be your problem.

i already tried that to, i had my buddy in the car while i raised it up on the lift and i watched the belt to make sure everything looked good there to and it did. belt and pulleys was working just fine nothing jerky at all

dcotter0579 12-19-2011 10:32 AM

If the pump is being turned properly by the belt there are some remaining possibilities. The pump has an internal flow control valve that is designed to relieve excessive pressure, for instance when the wheels are turned all the way to the side. That valve could have gone bad. Or you could have internal leakage in the steering gear. Or you could have a kinked hose, or a bad hose that restricts flow for some reason.
The only thing you can easily rule out is a kinked hose, which should be able to be found on visual inspection. The other things involve expensive parts with invisible problems.
Hooking the system up to a flow analyzer might narrow the source of the problem, but will involve the use of expensive equipment and a trip to either the dealer or a specialized service facility with the right gear and knowledge to use it.