Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Replaced ECU (computer), car cranks but won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Default Replaced ECU (computer), car cranks but won’t start

Hi all,

ive got a 2004 2.4 l Sebring convertible. The car had been misfiring and skipping and had very little power. The cylinder 3 injector wasn’t getting proper voltage from computer.

Was told to replace computer (ecu). First one from junkyard, car cranked but didn’t start. Was then told that computers needed to be reflashed to my VIN and mileage....bought a reman from one of the online companies and supplies that info. Car still cranks but doesn’t start. Does anyone know what is going on here??? I’m at a loss and am so frustrated I want to just drive the car off a cliff at this point. My key is not a sentry key (black not grey). Anyone know what jay I can do??? Need to get this back on the road.

As as a note, If I put old computer back in, car starts up fine.

Thanks!!!

Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM

When you don't know what's going on, always start with the cheapest things first. The ecu is one of the more expensive things and therefore one of the last things you should replace, not the first. With a computer controlled engine, you should not be just guessing and throwing parts at it. When parts fail, they will often result in an error code that gets stored in the computer. Therefore, the very first thing to do when the car acts up is to get a code reader and see if there are fault codes stored in the computer. That will guide your repair efforts. If the #3 injector is not seeing proper voltage, check the wiring supplying that injector.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 PM

I did not start with the computer. Plugs were replaced, wiring was tested. Valve cover was even removed to check for burnt valves. Threw a coil at it as well. Broke the multimeter out and the signal between ecu and injector wasn’t what it should have been.

Code was p0303 - misfire cylinder 3. Thank you for your response! I’m not completely car illerate though lol. Frustration is probably showing though.

my shop Mechanic doesn’t seem to know what’s going on but he also said it was signal from ecu to injector and that computer was bad.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 PM

You can't check for burnt valves by removing the valve cover. You need a compression test for that. If the car will start and run with the old computer, it should likewise start and run with the new one, assuming it was correctly programmed with the VIN and mileage. Apparently that did not occur. You might want to try again with the computer exchange to see if they can get it right. In future, it will help with your postings here if you include complete information regarding the background of the problem. There are no mind readers here.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 AM

Thanks. And I did say the car was misfiring and problem was with cylinder 3.

And compression test test was done and all cylinders were the same. Leak down test as well. All of this occurred before the computer was deemed bad.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

You got a used computer i bet? you have a gray chip key correct? If so thats why the car will not start with the new computer.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:59 PM

unplug the injector then using a DVOM ohm the #3 injector, then ohm an injector that is functioning properly, see if the resistance is close or the same