Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Replacing fabric on 2012 chrysler 200 convertible. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/replacing-fabric-2012-chrysler-200-convertible-27967/)

Phaeton 08-10-2017 04:45 PM

Replacing fabric on 2012 chrysler 200 convertible.

Have a 2012 chrysler 200 convertible and need help/info on removing the plastic seat covers and handles that allow the seats to fold forward...cannot see any visible screws or Openings to remove each cover from edges of nothr front bucket seats.any I go is greatly appreciated

dcotter0579 08-10-2017 05:17 PM

Don't know about your specific vehicle but these things are generally designed to snap on quickly in the assembly process and are held in place with tabs that look like a half of an arrow head that snaps into a hole. You have to push the arrow head to the side a little to allow it to come out. Get yourself a set of plastic trim tools (less than $10) to help you get the parts off without causing damage. You might wind up breaking one of those pieces anyway, but once you get it off, you'll see how it's held in place and then you can figure out how to get the other one off without wrecking it. You can buy a replacement part either from the dealer or a u-pick-it junkyard. It won't be that expensive. Consider it tuition in the school of life.

Phaeton 08-10-2017 09:21 PM

Thanks for reply dcotter0579

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 101647)
Don't know about your specific vehicle but these things are generally designed to snap on quickly in the assembly process and are held in place with tabs that look like a half of an arrow head that snaps into a hole. You have to push the arrow head to the side a little to allow it to come out. Get yourself a set of plastic trim tools (less than $10) to help you get the parts off without causing damage. You might wind up breaking one of those pieces anyway, but once you get it off, you'll see how it's held in place and then you can figure out how to get the other one off without wrecking it. You can buy a replacement part either from the dealer or a u-pick-it junkyard. It won't be that expensive. Consider it tuition in the school of life.

Appreciate your response to my post.just so frustrated that I cannot figure out how to remove the seat belt/seat back releases for too edge of seats.They are really tight on there,tried to pry them off with a screw driver to break them and couldntveven do that! Will try a set of trim tools next.thanks again.

dcotter0579 08-11-2017 11:19 AM

Be careful when fooling around with the seat belts. They have explosives in them to rapidly tighten up in the event of a crash. Leave that to professionals. What are you trying to do, anyway?

Phaeton 08-11-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 101666)
Be careful when fooling around with the seat belts. They have explosives in them to rapidly tighten up in the event of a crash. Leave that to professionals. What are you trying to do, anyway?

I am removing all the cloth on the seats and replacing with factory leather.disconnected ground wire so bags don't deploy.on the top edges of both front bucket seats are plastic housing seat belt and handle to fold front seats forward.cant replace or remove cloth until they are removed.

dcotter0579 08-11-2017 04:23 PM

Upholstering seats is somewhat of an art. You can get better at it with practice. I suspect you paid a pretty good price for that leather and when it's done, you will want it to look good. You might want to find a junked Sebring of the same vintage and actually buy a seat from it. The cheapest one you can find would be good enough, maybe one that has been left out in the rain. Take the seat home and tear it apart to find out how it's put together, and how they fastened the covers on it. If you wreck it, no big deal. If you can get the old covering off in reasonable condition, try putting it back on to get a feel for how to do it without making it all wrinkled and lumpy. One of two things will happen, you will learn how to do it properly and get a good result, and you'll be ready to do the real thing, or it will turn out badly and you'll realize that you do not want your car looking like that, in which case, you can bite the bullet and take your new leather seat covers and your car to a pro and pay him to get it right. Best to do your learning on something other than your pride and joy.