Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Should I or Not (New Engine) (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/should-i-not-new-engine-19217/)

VL2000 02-28-2013 06:02 PM

Should I or Not (New Engine)

2004 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 Liter Convertible.Car is payed off by the way.Been had it for 4 years now.Recently the Motor Locked Up.(Everytime I try to Crank It,It would make clicks like it wanna turn then the battery will go back dead,I believe radiator fluid got in the motor.) I wanted to ask which should I chose an will it be worth the time an money.Option 1:Local Mechanic,Engine 1,400(Claim they sale quailty engines) Labor 500.Option 2:Chrysler Dealership 6,000 for Engine an Labor all together Plus:3 Year or 100,000 Mile Warranty.Option 3 Opt out for a New Vehicle elsewhere.I been reading around from different places and some said don't bother cause Im a end up having problems from the next engine.So I wanted to ask the Pros an RealLife people who enjoy their Sebrings like I do(Before the MotorFail) how they feel I should go.

Thanks Alot!

Thundercraft 02-28-2013 09:34 PM

Well... option 1 = how many monthly car payments?
I wouldn't do option 2 - makes no fiscal sense at all.
My guess is that option 1 equals 6-8 months of car payments. Do you think this repair is going to last more than a year?

dcotter0579 02-28-2013 10:39 PM

First, verify that the engine is shot. If you get only a click when you turn the key, that is also a symptom of a dead battery or a bad starter. Do not assume the worst first.

If the engine is truly ruined, it may be rebuildable, or you may want to consider buying either a used engine or a rebuilt engine depending on the condition of the rest of the car, your own finaces and how much you like the car.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, consider selling it. There's somebody out there who will buy it if the price is right either for parts or to repair. Take the money and the money you were going to spend on repairs and buy another one like it.

Thundercraft is absolutely right, $6000 at the dealer makes no sense.

VL2000 03-01-2013 12:51 AM

Thanks for the Reply.I believe it will,cause he sold a couple sebring motors an I didn't hear no complaints from the buyers.Plus I was thinking of getting a A to B Type car for cash from a friend He wants 900 for it(Use as a Primary Car).I really would like to get my sebring fix.I would drive it like on weekends(Fri & Sats) an special occassions if I decided to get it worked on.Use the other for Work an Weekly errands.But 2000 don't sound as bad as payin 6,000(Which I do not have at the moment).My Oil looks all Milky like Chocolate Milk by the way(Currently Checked).I had a stream of white smoke coming from the Tailpipe too,I could see it out my rearview mirror an it stretched a good distance.Car while Ride for a mile or 2 an Cutoff an keep doing the same cycle.Once I made it to the stopsign It Died(Towed to my House after that).I also had Smoke coming from the leftside where the tire is in the front when I stop at lights or stopsigns.Could be the OilPan.My car was burning oil to the point I had get a OilChange Twice a Month an keep some on the Side.But I might just go with Option 1.It should hold for a year or maybe longer since Im a get spare car on the side.

UncleJess 03-22-2013 07:19 PM

If everything else is fine I would replace the motor. Stay away from dealerrips though. I've had a few vehicles that I rebuilt the engine or put a salvage yard pull in. They are still running fine to this day.