Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Spark Plug change for 97 Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/spark-plug-change-97-sebring-418/)

Emersive Audio Video 06-30-2005 03:25 AM

Spark Plug change for 97 Sebring

I am debating a spark plug change in my 97 sebring. I say that because its got a slight little knock that I just noticed. I bough the car for christmas fo rmy self and I didnt notice it then. I have about 80ish thousand miles on it and it runs good. I just liek to know now that I own it that its got good plugs and stuff so I am debatign puttign new plugs in it.

I have the 2.5 V6 and I can see the "front" 3 plugs easy. BUT the "back" 3 look like there not going to be fun to get at at all. Am I goign to have to remove the Multi Port Intake? If so I aint tuchin anything. I have a client thats a friend that works at Dodge dealer. Ill let them do it.

I have changed plugs in the past so I know its not hard just this car looks imposible for a guy like me to work on.

Has any one on here attempted this them selvs?

Vic

JXI101 06-30-2005 02:05 PM

RE: Spark Plug change for 97 Sebring

Just changed the plugs on my 98 JXI! It's not hard at all. not if you really love your car.there are 7 bolts on the front of the intake manifold, and 2 more in the back that are a little harder to get to. I asked a dealer/friend of mine about them and he says you dont even need the ones in the back, just put them in your glove box so you can put them in later. You do have to take the manifold off, along with the intake and the throttle body. Not hard, just takes about 3 hours... For the bolts in the back, just get a really long extension for your socket, and one of those flexible elbow things, and then add another short extension. trying to get the socket with a small extension only will be a nightmare. I'll take a picture if you need me to. like I said, not hard ust time consuming, and more than worth your time. Replaced almost 50 horsepower...

Emersive Audio Video 06-30-2005 11:22 PM

I take it there arent any gaskets I need to worry about then?

Ill take alook this weekend under the hood and se eif I feel up to it.

3 hours dont sound bad at all. To gain 50 HP would be cool!

Vic

PS

I just looked at the Intake and I see the 7 bolts right on the front end. I dont see or feel the 2 in back and in fact I see sort of like castign marks where 2 might go tward the rear. Is it possible my intake doesnt have the two in back?

If so it looks to be pretty easy. Remember I have a 97 sebring w/ 2.5 V6 maby it differs a little then yours?

JXI101 07-01-2005 12:10 AM

Ummm,... it's the exact same engine... If they've been changed before then they might not be there. They are really far back there... on the left it's by the AC in and out lines, and on the right its kind of under the EGR line... You need to probably get a new throttle body gasket. But I didn't need a new intake manifold gasket.. mine held perfectly actually... let me know if you need pics or something... or any help...

Emersive Audio Video 07-01-2005 07:07 PM

No Im definetly notr looking in the right place then for the rear bolts. Il have to have a look again. The casting marks on the intke Im talking about are right on top easy to see little round raised circles on the intake. There not actualy holes at all they may be marks made from the casting mold mabey.

If I do find the rear bolts and decide to pull all this apart I am definetly going to put the rear bolts back in, if they came off there goign back. They are there for a reason Im sure even though the dealer says you dont need them Im not sure I really agree with that even though it seems to work.

Il llet you know I have a dealer friend that works ad a Dodge dealer here and I usually swap work with him for work on my cars Im sure I can make a deal with him on some AV equipment or somethign and have them do it. I have watched them work on my cars and its nice when all the tools you need are right there to grab instead of doign make shif things in our personal garages.

Vic

JXI101 07-01-2005 10:20 PM

Oh no, I'm not telling you to omit putting them back in or anything.. I think my dad actually put them back in just incase... I was too lazy to go work on it,.. it's like 103 here... Definatly tedious work though.. good idea with the AV stuff.. hell for a couple of subs,.. I'll come up there and change them for you lol.... let me know if you can hook me up with some car audio,... that would be nice :) good luck.. and don't get champion plugs for it.. I reccomend Autolite Platinums or those crazy Bosch Platinum 4 spark prong plugs.. those are insane.. and nology hot wires if you got the cash...

Emersive Audio Video 07-02-2005 12:22 AM

JXI where are you at? Sounds like its just as hot here as well lol.

Yea I can get you soem car audio equipment. I deal mainly in home gear but My reps sell car audio. PIONEER PLANET AUDIO MTX PROFILE You name it I can problably get it for you.

I just got my brother a new Pioneer CD Deck for his NSX today as a matter of fact.

Im gonna post pics of my car if I can I just got the wheels it looks AWSOME!

Heres the link to your original post. I responded and posted pics. Check it out we have the same car pretty much. I dont have leather int. thank god its too damn hot here for that!

https://www.chryslerforum.com/m_1242...y_/tm.htm#1369

JXI101 07-03-2005 08:33 PM

I just need a new deck,.. and I love your car! It looks awesome! Leather sucks down here... I live in Austin Texas... 104 right now actually.. HOTTTT!!!!! Any brand for a montero sport... if you have a wiring harness and adapter that would be cool too,... but I can get those cheap... I didn't know you did home audio... What do you think of the newer BOSE home theater systems? I was looking at one but I dont know if they're worth the money...