Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Trans problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/trans-problem-7669/)

mwstant 02-27-2009 01:54 AM

Trans problem

I have an 02 sebring sedan with a trans leak and the trans shop told me that i need a silonide pack and a new trans pan. Anyone think that this is a bunch of bull crap and agree with my buddy? Can anyone help me out on this one? I need a little help finding the leak and then finding out how to fix it.

Barbara 2 02-27-2009 08:38 AM

Post msg.

Please look at my post under the Pacifica group. Barbara 2

irdaneel 02-27-2009 11:56 AM

The solenoid packs are a common leak problem on the Chrysler trannys. That one sounds genuine. As far as I know, there is no repair except to replace them. They can't be fixed.

The tranny pan gasket isn't as common, but any pan gasket can leak. You said, however, the pan itself needs replaced. If that's so, was it damaged by hitting something?

If the pan isn't damaged and it's only the gasket, then here is how I would proceed...
Replace the solenoids, and play a "wait and see" game with the pan. Reason: The leak from the solenoids may be appearing to be a leak from the pan also. That fluid goes everywhere under the motor and is difficult to diagnose. It can fool even the most experienced mechanic.

Exception: If the solenoid packs cannot be replaced without a major labor charge (more than 3 hours) and adding the pan gasket replacement doesn't drive the labor way up (more than 6 hours total) then perhaps it's better to do both at the same time.

Good luck deciding.

dcotter0579 02-27-2009 09:04 PM

You can access the solenoid pack from the engine compartment. Remove the air cleaner housing and you can get to it. To remove the pack, you need to remove the cooler lines and also the input speed sensor. Then remove three vertically oriented bolts to unfasten the solenoid pack. My mechanic claims he can do one in a half hour.
Solenoid packs are a fairly common replacement and they sell them on the web. Try Rock Auto Parts. Chrysler recommends running the car through the "quick learn" procedure with the DRB III tool after replacement of the solenoid pack.

Before you start, get in there with a de-greaser and clean up the whole area. It's pretty hard to tell what's leaking because lube gets thrown around everywhere by the wind under there.

As long as you're at it, replace the cooling lines, too. They aren't terribly expensive and they get old and hard. You'll need to remove the headlight to get to the other ends of the lines, but then it's an easy shot.

jhuntsebring 03-01-2009 10:37 PM

the pan on this trans does not use a gasket. the rubber gasket will just leak use rtv. the solinoid pack is not good. mine allowed air to get into the system and it caused hard shifting. I found a good local shop that fixed the problems for a resonable amount.

muddauber5.7 03-02-2009 11:06 PM

mwstant, I had same problem with my 2004 sebring leaking tranny fluid. And someone here told me to check cooler lines as the clamps holding them on were known to be loose. I figured I'd give it a try and removed air intake, then I could see everything and I could turn the rubber hoses by hand they were so loose. Retightened clamps and checked tranny fluid level and have been good to go ever since. And this car had 100,000 miles when this happened so I can only figure they loosened up over time. So check them out and let us know what you find.

mwstant 03-03-2009 03:11 PM

Thanks for the help everyone i bought a new solenoid today and have to wait til thursday to pick it up. I Might wait til it gets warmer to install it though. And in the mean time i might just check the clamps to see if they are loose. Thanks again.

dcotter0579 03-04-2009 03:08 PM

Give us a final report when you finish the job. We are all here to learn.