Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Turbo (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/turbo-392/)

JXI101 06-21-2005 11:15 PM

Turbo

Okay, so I race my sebring,... not a race car by any stretch of the truth and I'm kind of not wanting to do it so much anymore... but my question is... I got a small turbo for it and I want to know what anyone thinks the best way to put that on would be... I'm not even sure what size it is or anything, but it's a good size. I'll send you guys some pics of it when I get the suspension dropped a little... Just let me know what you guys think...

BadStratRT 06-23-2005 02:54 PM

RE: Turbo

what model sebring do you have? what else do you have for this plan other than the actual turbo?

JXI101 06-23-2005 09:31 PM

uuummmmm,.... I dunno what else... I got new rims in the mail, and I'm about to order a new transmission and some eibach springs to lower it about 2 inches... Then a new cannon for the back... as far as the turbo goes... well.... I have the turbo and the bov with a few hoses and wires hanging around. I'm going to buy a turbo timer and boost controller for it once it's in and ready to go. My intake manifold should be able to hold, but I'm going to get new gaskets anyway. I drive a 1998 Sebring JXI

BadStratRT 06-24-2005 02:25 PM

did you buy a turbo exhaust manifold? how many miles are on the car? youre not going to be able to run very much boost on your stock engine.

viciouslows 06-24-2005 02:35 PM

there is a lot of stuff that goes along with a turbo...

BadStratRT 06-25-2005 02:45 PM

indeed there is...just buying a turbo and having it bolted up will work, but not for very long, and you wont gain much before it blows the engine.

JXI101 06-27-2005 12:32 AM

I've been taught that a good rule of thumb is to never go over 12 psi with stock internals. My shadetree mechanic assures me the internals can handle up to 14, but I only plan to run about 8... I have vacuum, oil, and coolant lines and we're actually going to mount it at the back. Just before the muffler. It's supposed to be the latest craze down here, and I want people to know that mother is turbo'd... the car has 130,000 miles, but it's been overhauled about 2000 ago...

BadStratRT 06-27-2005 05:39 PM

wow...what engine is in that? a friend of mine is building a turbo 95 LX...with a 2000 LXi body...he knows a ton about it...

JXI101 06-27-2005 11:52 PM

It's just the stock 2.5 liter V6... nothing special.. hasn't even been competely restored yet.. Bob and I are going to bluebrint the block in the next 2 weeks hopefully, and replace all the bearings on the crank... I want to add some high comp pistons to squeeze a few more ponies out.. Koing rims on the way, and headers being built for it as we speak... I am determined to get this bitch turbo charged...

BadStratRT 06-29-2005 04:35 PM

you cannot use high compression pistons with a turbo! you need to find a 4 cylinder to turbocharge...that V6 is going to be a nightmare..

2004LX 07-11-2005 05:19 PM

I have a 2.4 4cyl...where can I find a turbo? [sm=goodidea.gif]

JXI101 07-11-2005 05:21 PM

junk yard.. bend the pipes and make the pieces yourself.. Know what the hell you're doing or you're going to blow yourself up along with your car.. don't run more than 6 psi in that engine...

BadStratRT 07-11-2005 08:44 PM

i would even be leary of 6...but i have seen 6 run safely in a stock motor, but it does shorten the life of the engine....also, you cannot just bolt any turbo in a junkyard onto your engine. you need a turbo exhaust manifold which is specific to your engine, and will be hard to find. you have to also upgrade the fuel system. once you get a bunch of power, you will have problems with things like axles, trannies, so on.

2004LX 07-11-2005 08:50 PM

That's all true..and I know Chrysler trannies are not the most reliable. At least that's the impression I've gotten from a large majority of stories I've heard. I most likely will not turbo this car. I have an extended warranty on it that would be void if I did anyway. Maybe some day far in the future if I decide to keep it, and if I have the money, but I;'d have more fun slapping a turbo on a faster car to begin with.

But just out of curiosity, what could be a ballpark range of hp gain I would probably see if this engine was turboed..Stock 150hp 160lb/ft.

BadStratRT 07-11-2005 09:00 PM

ummm....WITHOUT parasitic loss due to things like power steering...drivetrain loss, so on, an engine producing 150hp at the crank shaft running 6 psi of boost would make 183hp...but that is a rough estimate, with no loss calculated out.

2004LX 07-11-2005 09:03 PM

Huh...well that just isn't worth it for all the time and money it would take to finish a project like that...considering I lose almost 30% at the wheels.[sm=badidea.gif]

BadStratRT 07-11-2005 09:08 PM

noooo...a RWD car loses about 25% or so...your loss would be much less than that, but i dont recall the exact numbers...

2004LX 07-11-2005 09:14 PM

Well stock I only have 110hp to the wheels (I forget my source for that # but it was good). The less loss the better though!

BadStratRT 07-11-2005 09:33 PM

wow...that would be remarkably high...i know that most performance RWD cars have somethnig like a 23-28% loss to the wheels..however..since your car has PS, an alternator, AC, so on...that also saps power. i am not arguing, but can you find me a link to that source? that REALLY seems low...

2004LX 07-13-2005 10:02 AM

Sure..I will try and find that website for you. (I know you're not arguing...I actually hope my source was wrong...the more whp the better).

* I'm not sure if I calculated it right, but 110whp is only a 27% loss from 150 crank...I guess that's not TOO bad.. I'm not concerned with power with this car, since I baby it because I don't want problems. But again, I will find that website, or at least A website that tells me the info.

BadStratRT 07-14-2005 04:14 PM

but consider the loss in my RWD car, is only like 25%...

2004LX 07-17-2005 10:07 AM

Well I can't seem to find that link. It may have been on www.2gstratus.org (forums) but that site must be down because I have not been able to get there in a long time. I did however find this site on the (2001) Sebring. At the bottom of the page it gives the mileage of the 2.7L available engine. I think the ratings are a little crazy...you'll see what I mean:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...ebring_sdn.htm