Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Upper Ball Joints (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/upper-ball-joints-7428/)

jellyb30 01-28-2009 07:53 PM

Upper Ball Joints

Okay so I have a 1997 Sebring Coupe LX. I got it dirt cheap and I currently am fixing numerous issues with the car. I've got the sunroof prob fixed along with the passenger window. I have moved on to the suspension issues. So far I have replaced the two lower control arms and the outer tie rod on the drivers side. I am now attempting to replace the upper ball joint. I have a ball joint removal tool but it doesn't appear to be popping the joint loose like the tie rod one did. I am looking in a Chilton's and it is telling me that for the sebring coupe I have to replace the upper control arm along with the ball joint. Is this correct or can I not just pop the joint out like most cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already dropped a large amount of money in the car and would like to get this last issue solved so I can start driving it. After an alignment of course. Thanks

xfire04 01-28-2009 08:31 PM

RE: Upper Ball Joints

check with your local parts store an see what they offer i would say the complete control arm

dcotter0579 01-29-2009 05:33 PM

RE: Upper Ball Joints

I think the 98 and later models had replaceable ball joints. You may be looking at buying the whole arm.

jellyb30 02-17-2009 12:06 PM

Upper Ball Joints on a 97 Sebring Coupe

So I thought I'd post an answer to my own question in case anyone else has similar issues.

Everyone told me to just replace the upper ball joints on my 1997 Sebring Coupe. My car actually had the ball joints pressed into the upper control arms. None of the parts stores even listed an upper control arm available for this year of car except for O'Reillys. They turned out to be the wrong arms anyway. What I actually did was go to the Chrysler dealer and had the parts counter look it up for me and the price. It did not even list a 1997 Sebring Coupe LX on the computer. I had him pick the Dodge Avenger for that year and I found out that they are actually Mitsubishi parts as that year of car was made by them.

To make a long story short....I also watched the computer screen as the guy was looking the parts up (about $220 for each side) and saw it say 95 to 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse for the part. So I went back to O'Reillys and had them look up the upper control arms for a '95 eclipse and they turned out to be the right ones. I had to special order them but I only spent about $220 for both arms vice the $220 for each arm that Chrysler wanted.

So I bought this car with 136,000 miles on it for $800 bucks. So far I have put two lower control arms, an upper control arm, and tie rod end on the left front and one lower control arm, upper control arm and tie rod on the right front. That along with a new after market sunroof and new tires it is doing okay.

I've probably put more into than it is worth right now but I guess if I get from point A to point B it will be worth it????............

dcotter0579 02-17-2009 02:41 PM

Good work, and nice write-up. People need to know that the Sebring/Stratus coupe is a very different animal than the sedan. As you said, it's made by Mitsubishi, whereas the sedan/convertible is made by Chrysler. The styling of the coupe is similar to the sedan, but practically none of the parts are common.